Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for a VW T5 during conversion

Options
  • 28-10-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, having a bit of a nightmare finding any insurance that'll cover me for a VW T5 (T30 130 LWB) between the time that I've bought it (this week) and the time when I complete the motorhome conversion paperwork.

Has anyone had any luck with this in the past - the physical conversion work has been done (by Happy Campers) by the previous owner, but the tax is obviously still 'SA Goods' or something like that.

Tried Dolmen and they said they can't insure it until it's officially a motorhome (and the usual 1.8m stuff, but thats another matter).

So, should I try and get commercial or private insurance for this, and if you've any recommendations I'd love to hear them. Seems like an endless circle of catch-22s at the minute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Hi folks, having a bit of a nightmare finding any insurance that'll cover me for a VW T5 (T30 130 LWB) between the time that I've bought it (this week) and the time when I complete the motorhome conversion paperwork.

Has anyone had any luck with this in the past - the physical conversion work has been done (by Happy Campers) by the previous owner, but the tax is obviously still 'SA Goods' or something like that.

Tried Dolmen and they said they can't insure it until it's officially a motorhome (and the usual 1.8m stuff, but thats another matter).

So, should I try and get commercial or private insurance for this, and if you've any recommendations I'd love to hear them. Seems like an endless circle of catch-22s at the minute.

If its a proper conversion with windows, permanantly fitted units to a high standard then talk to the clubs. Otherwise I'd be looking at trailering it or getting someone with trade insurance to drive it to engineer/DOE/weighstation or whetever you need until its signed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yeah, I've gotten the info pack for the MCC, but it seems like a very opaque process and I don't know that it'll help me get insurance in time for when I want to pickup the van.

Yeah, I've gotten the info pack for the MCC, but it seems like a very opaque process and I don't know that it'll help me get insurance in time for when I want to pickup the van.

Just phone them explain the situation no point in speculating. Their engineer may be prepared to go to site and SQI / sign it off.

So, should I try and get commercial or private insurance for this...

Yurp. Strictly speaking it should be off the road from major works but mine had various conversion stages lashed together a few times when life got in the way.
    Sher it'll be grand...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I should have punctuated that better - should I try to get commercial insurance, or should I try to get private insurance (as a Shuttle or Caravelle)?

• Advertisement

Whichever you want. Commercial's probably cheaper but you'll need a tax clearance cert. for that methinketh.

If it has windows and / or seats in the back its not commercial anymore, commercial insurance and tax would be invalid and customs would be entitled to take it off you.

If you want to insure it privately you'd have to tax it privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Try CaroleNash in the north, they've advised me that they insure VW vans and campers (only) in the ROI.

Advertisement