Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing people home

Options
  • 28-10-2015 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

I live in a house with 2 guys - one I've slept with a few times but it meant nothing. The other guys has often brought girls back but I never have brought guys back - even just to chill and watch tv. It's not something I did. But now I will be soon and for some reason I feel extremely shy doing it - not sure why. Is this something I'm overthinking and shouldn't feel shy over?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Lamp69 wrote: »
    Is this something I'm overthinking and shouldn't feel shy over?!

Yes. You're all adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

You are very much overthinking it. You are in your 30's so supposedly a mature adult. Why would you feel shy about bring a male guest into your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,204 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Go for it.

I live with 2 lads and a girl. 1 of the lad has a girlfriend, I had until recently and we never had any problems bringing them back to the house to chill or whatever, and the girl we live with had no problem with it.

now she does keep it quiet when she brings home people, but that is her nature anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Lamp69

I guess I feel shy is because 1. I have not brought anyone home to this house before and 2. I've slept with one of the housemates. I am generally shy anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I guess I feel shy is because 1. I have not brought anyone home to this house before and 2. I've slept with one of the housemates. I am generally shy anyways
    If you can't get beyond this then you should talk to that housemate and see what he has to say on the matter, to remove all doubt.

You said in your post that he's brought people back. Did he discuss it with you beforehand? If no, I don't see why you should do him the courtesy of talking to him about it.

Frankly, your posts give the impression that you sleeping with your housemate is a bigger deal for you than you care to admit.

• Advertisement

If you can't get beyond this then you should talk to that housemate and see what he has to say on the matter, to remove all doubt.

You said in your post that he's brought people back. Did he discuss it with you beforehand? If no, I don't see why you should do him the courtesy of talking to him about it.

Frankly, your posts give the impression that you sleeping with your housemate is a bigger deal for you than you care to admit.

He hasn't brought other people back - the other housemate has. I did speak to the housemate I slept with to say more than likely il be bringing a "friend" back so it's dealt with. I still find it awkward tho

Then don't do it. It's never a good idea to do soemthing you're not comfortable with.

Then don't do it. It's never a good idea to do soemthing you're not comfortable with.

I have to - my "friend" wants to come back and I want him to come back too. It's the introductions etc il find awkward as I've never done it before. Guess I need to get it over with

Why do you have to introduce them? Just head up to your room.

At the end of the day, you're an adult, it's up to you what you do. It might be awkward but avoiding the awkwardness means you won't get what you want. What would you prefer more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I have to - my "friend" wants to come back and I want him to come back too. It's the introductions etc il find awkward as I've never done it before. Guess I need to get it over with

The guy you've been on two dates with and not sure if you liked him enough for a second? Now he's demanding to come back to your house??

Your €300 a day job surely means you could afford to live alone...maybe that's the best option to avoid embarrassment.

People can't force you to do what they want, your friend has to accept no if you don't want him to come to your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Much like everything else you've posted here about in the last couple of weeks, you're dramatically overthinking this.

Why do you keep repeating you've slept with one of your HMs? That makes no difference. You've also said you've already told him about what you're going to do. So again, no issue.

You're 33, right? These sound like the kinds of issues someone in their late teens would have. Every date or small instance has you tying yourself in knots when there's nothing to be concerned about.

You're seeing a new guy. Bring him home if you want. Don't if you don't.

Maybe some counselling would help get your head generally straight if you're experiencing a lot of anxiety over day to day issues.

The guy you've been on two dates with and not sure if you liked him enough for a second? Now he's demanding to come back to your house??

Your €300 a day job surely means you could afford to live alone...maybe that's the best option to avoid embarrassment.

People can't force you to do what they want, your friend has to accept no if you don't want him to come to your house.

What has my salary got to do with this? He's not demanding but more than likely it will happen as we seem to have hit it off :) I just want to avoid any awkwardness but it looks like il have to endure some which I don't like. I'm usually a shy person anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

What has my salary got to do with this? He's not demanding but more than likely it will happen as we seem to have hit it off :)I just want to avoid any awkwardness but it looks like il have to endure some which I don't like. I'm usually a shy person anyway

What's your issue so? Can you repeat it? All I can see are statements of fact, to be honest.

We'll say "don't be shy". You'll say "I can't help it".

We'll say "don't bring him home so". You'll say "I have to".

This could go on for pages. What are you looking for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

I live in a house with 2 guys - one I've slept with a few times but it meant nothing. The other guys has often brought girls back but I never have brought guys back - even just to chill and watch tv. It's not something I did. But now I will be soon and for some reason I feel extremely shy doing it - not sure why. Is this something I'm overthinking and shouldn't feel shy over?!

I think once you do it you will stop feeling shy about it. It will pass :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

At 33 years old and earning nearly €80k a year, why are you house sharing? If you want to avoid awkwardness and not have to face up to your shyness, rent on your own or buy your own house. You should have no problem getting a mortgage.

I think once you do it you will stop feeling shy about it. It will pass :-)

Thanks for this - Ya it's just the initial hurdle to get over :)

At 33 years old and earning nearly €80k a year, why are you house sharing? If you want to avoid awkwardness and not have to face up to your shyness, rent on your own or buy your own house. You should have no problem getting a mortgage.

Getting one next year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

If you learn one thing from all this - don't sleep with flatmates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

I just want to avoid any awkwardness but it looks like il have to endure some which I don't like.

Unless you're planning on shagging him in the living room, I'm failing to see where the awkwardness is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

OP, have you considered counselling? It could be better to talk to someone who can help you make these decisions for yourself

• Advertisement

OP, have you considered counselling? It could be better to talk to someone who can help you make these decisions for yourself

No I don't need counselling to decide whether I should go on another date or how to avoid awkwardness in a house. These are trivial matters - that's why I posted here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

As this is the third thread you have started in less than a fortnight in Relationship Issues I am going to close it OP. Everyone is welcome to post here but repeated threads are discouraged. As I have also brought up with you before, I'd advise you to kindly read the charter as there are now a number of issues which suggest that you may need to remind yourself of this. Finally, might I suggest some counselling if you feel you need help and guidance on dealing with general day to day interaction with people. All the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement