Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The internet of things

• 27-10-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I know this is a new course but has anyone heard much about this or what its like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don't know anything about it but Jesus that is some embarrassing course title.

Who designed it/runs it? Sounds like a course title that a PHD Student would've come up with.

EDIT: I see it was Eamonn de Leastar & Barry Morris who designed it and run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think it's cisco run.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

the layout looks the same as applied/forensics but with their core modules replaced with physics and electronics for the first few years, different from year 3, the names a bit foolish but looks a decent course, coming from a forensics student point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

callaway92 wrote: »
    Don't know anything about it but Jesus that is some embarrassing course title.

Who designed it/runs it? Sounds like a course title that a PHD Student would've come up with.

EDIT: I see it was Eamonn de Leastar & Barry Morris who designed it and run it.

Wow guys i dont want to embarrass you BUT Internet of things is an industry term like world wide web , the guys didn't just make up the title.Here is the wikipedia page
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things
    It's the first undergraduate internet of things course in Ireland ,really great course if you are up to the challenge.That said if you don't know what the course title is about it may not be for you

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The Internet Of Things is a huge area and all of the large tech companies want a piece of the pie. I'm sure the course will evolve over the next few years as they get feedback from it etc but it's nice to know WIT are moving with the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

they looking into broadening their range of courses to make their uni bid look better. still if they use it to pump some new money into some new services on campus i wont complain

imacman wrote: »
    Wow guys i dont want to embarrass you BUT Internet of things is an industry term like world wide web , the guys didn't just make up the title.Here is the wikipedia page
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things
    It's the first undergraduate internet of things course in Ireland ,really great course if you are up to the challenge.That said if you don't know what the course title is about it may not be for you

Love your arrogance in this post. Involved in the course obviously?

Looks a bit shít tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Looks a bit shít tbh.
    yea maybe I was a bit hard on them :D, they did say the name of the course was embarrassing however.Its really good course if you want to get into the IOT which is going to become a massive area of growth in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Looks a bit shít tbh.

It looks more difficult than applied computing, which I would have said is the most difficult computing course wit had before the iot course.

Stop acting like a brat just because someone (very politely I must add) called you out on not knowing a well-known computing term, while you were judging a course that's barely off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Sounds like a course in between electronics and applied computing. If you do either course you could work in IOT projects. Not sure why a specific course is needed but hey I don't work on any IOT projects at the moment.

• Advertisement

a fat guy wrote: »
    It looks more difficult than applied computing, which I would have said is the most difficult computing course wit had before the iot course.

Stop acting like a brat just because someone (very politely I must add) called you out on not knowing a well-known computing term, while you were judging a course that's barely off the ground.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's okay, as long as you recognise that you were in the wrong beforehand we're cool.

We all have moments when we jump to conclusions.

Advertisement