Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Recommendation for a present

Options
  • 27-10-2015 8:45pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's come to that time of year when I've to buy the birthday present!

I'm currently exploring the idea of buying a watch. She's been on the hunt for a watch for a while.

I've been looking at the Raymond Weil below. She's basically looking at a watch with a leather strap with a clear face. My problem is that she has specifically said she doesn't want me spending too much on the present - while there is a bit of give and take with this, I'd ideally like to comply with the request.

I'm wondering could anyone else recommend something that might do the job?

Raymond%20Weil%205488.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

"she has specifically said she doesn't want me spending too much on the present"

This is usually code language for "buy me something expensive"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

"she has specifically said she doesn't want me spending too much on the present"

This is usually code language for "buy me something expensive"

Oh I'm aware of that. I'm exploring the possibility of it not being code at the moment!

Shane732 wrote: »
    Oh I'm aware of that. I'm exploring the possibility of it not being code at the moment!

Depending on budget a large number of watches match your criteria.

Raymond Weil are nice looking watches. One of the few independent brands in that market segment. But if she's been looking for something herself then maybe she should accompany you to the jeweller's or at least give you more to go on as there is a possibility that she already has something in mind. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Roughly what age are we talking about?! I know that Mrs H is currently eyeing a Daniel Wellington on a leather strap and they seem to be the in vogue watch at the moment. It's a fashion brand and would be suited to anyone really but probably more the 20-40 bracket? Michael Kors were the most popular brand over the last year or so but they generally come on bracelets as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

In the same boat but for Christmas (Sorry, sorry, sorry)

Am looking at Hamilton

either

Hamilton Khaki Field Officer H70365133
    or

Hamilton Jazzmaster Seaview H37451141

or

Hamilton Khaki Field Field Quartz H68311133

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, bought my Mrs a vintage piece in powerscourt abought a month ago. Some nice pieces available even in the RW ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

My better half had similar requirements in the clear face and leather. She fell in love with a Mondaine in the end and refuses to wear anything else now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

For what it's worth, bought my Mrs a vintage piece in powerscourt abought a month ago. Some nice pieces available even in the RW ballpark.

What watch is it? My OH was wearing a vintage Longines auto from the 70's and really liked it (or so she said:rolleyes: anyway) until I got her a bright blue quartz Jiusko.
    I reckon they like variety, buy her 3 or 4 to match shoes/ handbags:eek:

Or else show her how to change NATO straps to match shoes/bags or whatever else they might be wearing.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It's a Daniel Wellington that she likes :(:(

Has anyone ever used the watchhut.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Ionised wrote: »
    My better half had similar requirements in the clear face and leather. She fell in love with a Mondaine in the end and refuses to wear anything else now.

Just got a Mondaine, clean dial, easy rad and a Red strap..the red strap was the deal breaker

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Think I'll go with the Raymond Weil

Advertisement