Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting after 10 years

Options
  • 27-10-2015 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I haven't played gaelic football and hurling in about 10 years I'm 20 now, is there any point in trying to get up to scratch and try join a team next year?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

KellyR18 wrote: »
    I haven't played gaelic football and hurling in about 10 years I'm 20 now, is there any point in trying to get up to scratch and try join a team next year?
    Absolutely. You're still young. What part of the country are you in? Are you still living near your original club or have you moved? Either way, there's bound to be a few clubs around that have lower level Junior teams to get you back up to speed. Might be an idea to do some training yourself to get you into the swing of things before preseason training in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

plenty of point !! :) i recently joined a team at the start of the year (soccer) im established in the starting 11 and where going on to win things , and im 25 :) hadnt played since i was about 13 or 14 either :) like whats said above ull need to do some training yourself to get the fitness up :) i know plenty guys hitting 40 playing GAA and your only 20 so why not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

Absolutely. You're still young. What part of the country are you in? Are you still living near your original club or have you moved? Either way, there's bound to be a few clubs around that have lower level Junior teams to get you back up to speed. Might be an idea to do some training yourself to get you into the swing of things before preseason training in January.

I'm in Navan, no not same place lived in South Dublin last time I played, thought it would be a good place to meet people too know no one down here. Think I may do it

Yeah it would be a bit of craic. Depending on which side of the Boyne you live (I think) you have either Navan O'Mahony's (based beside Páirc Tailteann) or Simonstown Gaels (based up past Flower Hill). Both have Senior and Junior A teams. NOM have a Junior B team and Simonstown have a Junior C team. Either of those would be a grand grade to start back with. Both clubs' website should have contacts to get in touch about membership.

Someone can correct me on this, but I wouldn't say you would need a transfer given that it's been so long since you played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah Hammer yer right on the transfer particularly since it was ptobably U10 since OP played. I don't think you're viewed as having represented any club until you line out at U12 in Dublin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

No bother reaching a relative level of competency in football but the hurling will be a different matter. If serious about playing hurling pick a club that plays in the Junior b or junior c ranks.

No bother reaching a relative level of competency in football but the hurling will be a different matter. If serious about playing hurling pick a club that plays in the Junior b or junior c ranks.
    Kinda skipped over him wanting to play hurling. I'd agree with this although the standard of Junior hurling in Meath means he'd be well able for the Navan O'Mahony's Junior A side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Yeah, you're lucky that you're in a county not noted for their Hurling prowess. A friend from my club who couldn't get a puck with our Junior B team (3rd team in the club) ended up walking onto a Kerry club's first team's 15 with ease.

Advertisement