Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would like to Volunteer in Iraq/Syria

Options
  • 27-10-2015 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have spent the last year being a project manager and as the project draws to its natural end I have been looking increasingly at volunteering in a conflict region.

I have a law degree and a masters in global politics. I had excelled in Conflict Resolution and it is something that interests me greatly hence my desire to work in somewhere like Iraq or Syria.

I understand the risks but I have always had a fascination with the region and the suffering the people are going through in Syria and parts of Iraq has had a very strong effect on me personally.

Does anyone know how I would go about finding a volunteer placement in such a volatile region?

Comments

Concern have paid jobs advertised in Lebanon - closing tomorrow I think. Could be a first step into the region.

Goal actually have a Syria project manager job advertised - do you speak Arabic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Concern have paid jobs advertised in Lebanon - closing tomorrow I think. Could be a first step into the region.

Goal actually have a Syria project manager job advertised - do you speak Arabic?

No Arabic unfortunately but will give it a try. Thank you for your prompt response :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

WarZ wrote: »
    No Arabic unfortunately but will give it a try. Thank you for your prompt response :)

I'd say being knowledgeable in local attitudes about religion would help. These societies are very complex different tribes, herdsmen and sects all live in this part of the world. Don't go in blind, ignorant of threats and western preconceived notions. These people have been living here for centuries and their cultures no matter how exotic are completely unlike our own. Other then that enjoy your stay and I hope you can do some good whatever you decide to do over there in the Arabic World.

Most importantly keep yourself hydrated. Always good advise to have whenever you go to boiling hot countries.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Hi Brian,

Yes I am very read up on the culture of the region. Thank you for the advice :)

I've been talking to a few people who simply arrive and look for volunteer work upon arrival. Does anyone know someone that has tried this in Syria? I could easily get to Turkey but I've no idea how difficult it is to cross over and obviously its incredibly dangerous.

Advertisement