Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Excel program to APP

Options
  • 21-10-2015 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have a small Excel program that I think might run better on an app but no too sure how to go about it.

Basically there are a number of inputs, you press a button and it throws out some new details via vlookups and whatnot. Its quite simple however as the inputs increase it the spreadsheet is slowing down and I'd like to put in a hell of a lot more.

So I have a fairly decent knowledge of Excel through a background in mechanical engineering but I dont know where to start with software design.

I'm wondering if there is any software design packages that are simple and relate in some way to the functions used in excel

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Post moved from Design.

OP, please be aware local forum charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

WilcoYHF wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have a small Excel program that I think might run better on an app but no too sure how to go about it.

Basically there are a number of inputs, you press a button and it throws out some new details via vlookups and whatnot. Its quite simple however as the inputs increase it the spreadsheet is slowing down and I'd like to put in a hell of a lot more.

So I have a fairly decent knowledge of Excel through a background in mechanical engineering but I dont know where to start with software design.

I'm wondering if there is any software design packages that are simple and relate in some way to the functions used in excel

Thanks

What technologies you use and how you build it are dependent on what time of App you want it to be. Do you mean mobile app, desktop app or web application?

The latter is something that could serve all types of user and it would be easier to enhance over time as there's only one version on the web server. It can be more complex though because web applications require a lot of technologies (server side code, database, html/css/javascript) so there will be a fairly steep learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭WilcoYHF

I'm looking to develop a mobile app. I managed to develop a fairly basic version of it through visual basic.

The next step I took was to develop it for a Windows phone (as that's what I have). I tried to do this through the windows phone template on Visual Studio Community 2015 but I can't seem to find the template. This is where I am at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

WilcoYHF wrote: »
    I'm looking to develop a mobile app. I managed to develop a fairly basic version of it through visual basic.

The next step I took was to develop it for a Windows phone (as that's what I have). I tried to do this through the windows phone template on Visual Studio Community 2015 but I can't seem to find the template. This is where I am at now.

You should expect to constantly run into issues and road blocks like this when you're starting out. The learning curve will be steep and it will be challenging & frustrating but it will also be ultimately rewarding and you'll run into less issues as you learn.

You're going to have to rely on Google to help you find solutions to the issues you're facing.

I've no idea what template you're referring to. The VS 2015 compatibility guide says that Windows Phone development is possible. You might need to install additional templates or extensions though.

John_Mc wrote: »
    You should expect to constantly run into issues and road blocks like this when you're starting out. The learning curve will be steep and it will be challenging & frustrating but it will also be ultimately rewarding and you'll run into less issues as you learn.

You're going to have to rely on Google to help you find solutions to the issues you're facing.

You're right I have been relying on Google and Youtube but yes it is a challenge and I'm not close to giving up yet :D

Need to figure out Visual Studio tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Did you look in to using Access ? Its VB based (which you seem to be familiar with) and can do the job.. I never tried on mobile but I guess windows mobile can let you use Access ?

So 2 and a bit months on I have the app working, it doesn't have all the features I'd like yet but it does do its core function.

I built it as a Windows Form in Visual Studio but I'd now like to jazz it up and generate it as an apple or android app. I'm not sure what the first step would be is there any app program that uses basic c# code?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

To be honest, if you have a working Windows form app, written in C#, then you should be able to port it to Android Studio and Java. C# and Java are similar enough to aid in the porting.

I would suggest downloading Android Studio, play around with one or two samples, and then try coding the app . Computations should be almost identical in C' and Java. You obviously have the program logic worked out and tested .

I cannot offer any comment or advice on IOS.

Thanks Rock

Advertisement