Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked BIOS password

Options
  • 27-10-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,can anyone help with this problem please

I bought a second hand Toshiba Sat Pro A120 on Adverts
    It is bios locked and I cant use it
    I would be very grateful if someone could help me please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=toshiba+satellite+pro+a120+bios+password+reset

TL;DR: There is a battery on the motherboard. You should be able to pull out the battery to reset the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 numacd

Thank you for replying..I've tried all that,but I'm afraid to go to mobo,wold have to take it all apart,I'm not that good with that part.
    Would you know how much it would cost to repair,please

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

numacd wrote: »
    Thank you for replying..I've tried all that,but I'm afraid to go to mobo,wold have to take it all apart,I'm not that good with that part.
    Would you know how much it would cost to repair,please

Impossible to say really depends on where you take it. Should only take them a matter of minutes to fix it but they could charge you the hourly rate for that or they could say call back in 2 days fix it in 10 mins and leave it sitting until you come back and say it took a long time. You'd need to ask a repair place how much although doing it yourself is very straightforward.

Thank you,The cmos is very hard to find on this model,I will try to find someone to repair it.
    Many thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Could you not contact the guy you bought it off? If he is the previous "owner" he ought to know the password...

• Advertisement

I asked him..He said he didn't know,I thought it was HDD password that's why I bought it for my grandson.Its really hard to unlock Toshiba laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The bios lock would be much use if it wasnt a pain to remove.

Its not exactly a great piece of kit anyways, cant be worth more than €50. If it takes more than a few hours work its literally not worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

numacd wrote: »
    Hi,can anyone help with this problem please

I bought a second hand Toshiba Sat Pro A120 on Adverts
    It is bios locked and I cant use it
    I would be very grateful if someone could help me please.

A120 doesn't have cmos protecting chip, so removing the cmos battery would be your easiest option. If you are near Tipp I could do if , or check youtube, for a video tutorial. All you need is a screwdriver and no more than 10 min .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

op, The seller not knowing the bios password would be a red flag for me.

You will have to open it. There should be a cmos pin(dont know if they are on laptops) you take this pin out, move it to the pin beside it and back again and this resets it. You may also have to the battery thing.

Advertisement