Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my wardrobe? (Male)

Options
  • 27-10-2015 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm 18, I'm 5'8 so I haven't really grown much since 15/16. This means I still have a lot of the same clothes!
    My mother sees them as they still fit so what's wrong with them' but I don't want to dress that way anymore.

I want to wear (when going out) Chelsea boots, jeans, and a casual shirt or jumper, maybe a long sleeve t..

Not runner, baggy jeans (2 inches to long too) a 'muscle' fitting graphic t and a hoody.

I'm 18 but still seen as a child so when ever I want to buy something she goes 'oh is that not too short' or 'I never see ya wear stuff like that. When will you wear it' etc.
    She means well but she drives me loopy.

How do I change my wardrobe in a way that 1-it looks good, 2-she doesn't see it as me wasting money on clothes since I 'never go out to wear them and I've already got clothes anyway!'

Any ideas?, thanks I know it sounds like a stupid question...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Well the obvious thing would be, don't go shopping with your ma. But if she's buying your clothes for you, it'll be a harder thing to do.

You could bag up all your old clothes and donate them, so you've nothing left and she HAS to buy you new clothes! :-)

But seriously, perhaps start with one thing at a time, and go inexpensive - H&M will probably stock the styles you want to wear and won't break the bank. Also, does she go into the changing room with you?? Try on the clothes but don't show her, to avoid any comments. If she wants to see the clothes, tell her you'll show her at home. :-)

Did you tell her that you didn't want to dress that way any more? Maybe do something like change your hairstyle so she's sees you in a different way. Also get a job or some way of earning your own money which you can then spend as you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

If your mother is paying for the clothes then she is probably (rightly so) concerned primarily with practicality rather than style.

If you are paying for the clothes then I would suggest shopping by yourself and ignoring her criticisms entirely. You're a grown up now - time to start dressing the way you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Get a part time job and buy your own clothes. Her money her rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SandyMay

Regardless of if you or her buys the clothes it's always nice to have your mom back you up with your new style. Tell her you would really like to switch to a more adult wardrobe now that you are an adult so you look more college/work ready instead of looking like you're a teenager still in school. Maybe try changing one thing at a time so it's slower. IE: changing shirts for the first few months then pants then shoes, etc. Best of luck!

Advertisement