Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Dublin City County Council Road conditions

Options
  • 26-10-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

My two kids and I cycle through Cabra to school every morning and the amount of glass on the roads is a disgrace. I've needed to change tires and tubes now a few times. It's not isolated to Cabra and may be on any bus lane.

A contributing factor to our bad tires is also the state of the roads, patching up, cracks, potholes etc. This is in D7 on streets with populations ranging in the hundreds and being used by tens of thousands a day. This compares with roads I've seen Kerry, Waterford... with 2 houses of retired people and roads being used occasionally but in perfect condition.

Now I've been to the South Side, to Castlekock and even Blanchardstown and do realise it's not a Dublin wide issue. The main roads in many of these locations are almost as good as in the country side.

I'm just wondering if the Dublin City Council in the D7, D11 and D1 areas (possibly others) have a blatant disregard for our communities here or do they just get less funding than their other council equivalents? Has anyone else noticed this? There are Irish people working, living and commuting here as well as elsewhere.

On another similar note:

From having friends in Germany I know they don't experience this problem. Part of the reason is because they have to pay a deposit for purchasing bottles.

Beer bottles in crates are sent back to the manufacturer, cleaned and reused rather than always need to be melted down again: resulting in cheaper costs to the manufacturer and the consumer. Peoples bikes are also not getting punctured.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I cant speak for D15 but here in D11 I've seen glass remain on cycle paths for almost six weeks last summer. I used to avoid the same smashed bottle for weeks on a cycle route I did quite often. I've always actually wondered what is supposed to happen in these cases- are the council reliant on members of the public ringing in about a smashed glass in X spot? If not how often are they supposed to be around to clean the footpaths? It doesn't seem all that often to me and I've a feeling that some areas get done a lot more often than others

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bohser

Regarding road quality: I realise that there's more road usage and works the closer you get to town but there is a notable difference when you cross the D7 - D15 border for some reason.

Regarding Glass: I believe the council are supposed to clean. The glass is cleaned from places like Camden Street each morning - I've seen the same in Amsterdam; from around 6am they have machines cleaning up broken glass. It may be that the road quality effects how easy it is to clean the street. There are so many cracks and holes on D7/D11 roads it's probably harder to pick up.

In fairness more glass is probably coming from pubs than elsewhere, and there may be more likely breakages in certain areas. However, there still seems to be a contrast in quality of service being delivered to me. I've worked in parts of the southside and been out and know that glass is broken outside some bars there at night but appears to be cleaned up in the AM. But as I said above; it may be easier to clean glass outside the Burlington than Fausagh Avenue.

I believe that re-doing some of the roads and paths may help resolve the glass issue, as they did on the Castleknock main road leading to Blackhorse years ago.

Advertisement