Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Quay Dublin 2 (lack of) Roadworks

Options
  • 26-10-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

This is where (if coming from the Northside) you go over Custom House Bridge and there is a sign for 'No Cycle lane' if cycling left towards Lombard/Pearse St.

I've been cycling past this work every morning now for the past 8-9 months or so - between around 9 and 9.30 and have noticed that the workers are never doing work, when I passed. Obviously someone is doing work there as I've noticed some changes - but over a really long period of time as any changes are very slow.

I've seen guys standing and just looking, some talking and workers sitting in machines that are off. Mostly there's no one there. Maybe that time is a break time - I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed the same. I searched this forum but didn't see other posts.

I was going to email the County Council as a concerned taxpayer but thought I would ask here first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I cycle that stretch a couple of times a week around the same time and have noticed the same as yourself. I haven't even an idea what exactly the works that are going on actually are nor what is taking them so long. Would love to know and also what the hold up has been. Anytime I've gone past there are very few workers considering the amount of the riverside that is currently blocked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Thanks for that, it seems to be flood defences and a new two way cycle track
    The protection will, for the most part, consist of a new wall which will be approximately 800 to 900mm (3 feet) high, depending on its location, and have a number of openings to allow access to the campshires, pedestrian bridges and walkways. These opening will have flood gates that will be closed off at times of flood risk

The proposal will also incorporate an upgrade of the existing cycle track which is located on the campshires to a new two-way cycle track from Talbot Memorial Bridge to east of Samuel Becket Bridge. This will replace the existing sub standard cyclist / pedestrian conflicts on the campshires and extend the existing cycle facilities to link into the new cycle network at Samuel Becket Bridge.

Seems to be taking an age and any time I pass there is little to no activity. Maybe they have to wait for the river to drop to get to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bohser

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seems to be taking an age and any time I pass there is little to no activity. Maybe they have to wait for the river to drop to get to work?

Haha! Yeah it must be too risky to turn on their machines with the water so high.

DCC management must be at fault here for not policing their contractors. I wonder how management are reviewed there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Have they removed the tempory protected cycle path?

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »

No still there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

monument wrote: »

No, and it's a mess too as pedestrians have a habit of just walking across the temp cycle path at the Lombard Street crossing even when they have a 'red man' light.

Really weirdly after posting this thread and emailing DCC I saw at least 3 guys working this morning, with some others discussing something.

First time I think I've seen anyone working.

I passed it at 2.30pm today and counted 8 lads all working away. I know nothing about the size of the project or building flood defences but it does seem to be moving quite slowly.

Don't suppose DCC let you know when its due to be finished?

feistyfawn wrote: »
    Really weirdly after posting this thread and emailing DCC I saw at least 3 guys working this morning, with some others discussing something.

First time I think I've seen anyone working.

FYI: I just noticed that all the mails to DCC to the customer mail address from their site bounced back, and the only response from the local councilor was an automatic one.

Therefore if anything to do with me highlighting; I'm putting down the actual sudden appearance of people working down to posting in this forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement