Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running from your own goal line for a try, past 80 minutes

Options
  • 26-10-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Watching the ITM Cup Final on Saturday morning, followed by the NZ v SA match, both times the only way the losing team could change the outcome was to run the ball the whole length of the pitch to score a try or DG as the game had gone beyond 80 minutes. I've seen this situation a lot, but never once seen it actually happen.

Can anyone point to any examples of where the losing team successfully got the whole way up the pitch and picked up a winning score after 80 minutes had elapsed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Shane Horgan. Twickenham. 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'll raise the bar high to begin with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Shane Horgan. Twickenham. 2006.

Unbelievable try, but it didn't happen past 80 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

crotty vs ireland was amazing but not on their own line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Was thinking the same thing myself. Good question, I guess it has to have happened at club level on many occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ospreys went thru 30 something phases a few years ago in the HEC until Shane Williams scored the winning try. Think they only started around the halfway tho....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

not the full pitch but NZ to beat Ireland in 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

not the full pitch but NZ to beat Ireland in 2013

That was actually a dream. It never really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

While it wasnt to win it, I never get tired of watching this:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's not quite a winning score in the last minute but this was a try in a Top 14 promotion game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not quite from behind the goal line but it was the last play of the game, 6 points down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Not really a matchwinning try, but Carlos Spencer being a complete cheeky bollix. 100 metre try, 80th minute, already two points up, over the try line, stops, and strolls over to the touchline to touch it down. Bangs over the conversion, no bonus point for the Crusaders. Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

And there are some numpty commentators in Australia/New Zealand who say that running passing rugby is a Southern Hemisphere invention.

That's the way the game should be played. Right there. Vive la vieille France!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This one doing the rounds today. Not the 80th minute but a winning try from the end of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Cardiff Blues managed to win a game in the 87th minute last year despite the full time whistle being blown in the 83rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

There's also this one. Not the end of the game (the beginning actually and we lost the game) but from our own try area!

Jeeeeeez :(. Feels weird watching those and realising what we've become. PSA was such a class player. How he turned into such a dull manager, I'll never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Actually, I forgot (how could I? How dare I :p?!) the RWC87 semi-final. Australia-France in Sydney. 24-24. 79th min... And

:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not on 80 minutes but the full length of the pitch - without pausing - and surely one of the greatest tries of either era.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I don't remember where on the pitch it originated, but even so I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned ROG's miracle DG against Gloucester Northampton in the Heineken Cup a few years back. 30-something phases, 84th or something minute.

I'll see if I can find the video.

EDIT: Here it is.

Started at 78 minutes on Northampton's 10m.
    When the clock turned red about 15 phases later, Munster had been forced back to the halfway line.
    On 82 minutes, the phases were up to the mid-20's, and Munster were back to the Northampton 10m again.
    Then, on the 40th phase, RO'G slotted the DG at 83:40.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

SuprSi wrote: »
    Watching the ITM Cup Final on Saturday morning, followed by the NZ v SA match, both times the only way the losing team could change the outcome was to run the ball the whole length of the pitch to score a try or DG as the game had gone beyond 80 minutes. I've seen this situation a lot, but never once seen it actually happen.

Can anyone point to any examples of where the losing team successfully got the whole way up the pitch and picked up a winning score after 80 minutes had elapsed?

There was this fictional game that happened two years ago.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Not quite from behind the goal line but it was the last play of the game, 6 points down.

I may be wrong but I think Gloucester won that game with a last gasp penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I may be wrong but I think Gloucester won that game with a last gasp penalty.

Ah yeah you're right, Northampton scored that try and then right after the kickoff conceded a penalty with no time left. Dopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Last play, match winner from inside their own 22.

No videos of this one, but I remember London Irish in 2009 were 10 points down to Bourgoin in a challenge cup quarter final with 10 seconds left. Nick Kennedy, the second row, slotted a drop goal from 22 metres at the last possible time that they could get another play. They then received the kick off and within a couple of minutes Steffon Armitage scored a try to give them a conversion for extra time. Unfortunately Delon Armitage missed it and they failed to pull it off but it was pretty incredible to even get that close.

Advertisement