Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portugal's new government

Options
  • 26-10-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

I'm not fan of left wing politics but I find it disgusting that democracy is being ignored.

You'll note that this is hardly being reported anywhere in the media and even when it is the true details are being obscured.

As per the Telegraph "democracy must take second place to the higher imperative of Euro rules and membership."

How can anyone have faith in the EU after this.....if you had not already lost it a long time ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

gobsh!te wrote: »
    I'm not fan of left wing politics but I find it disgusting that democracy is being ignored.

You'll note that this is hardly being reported anywhere in the media and even when it is the true details are being obscured.

As per the Telegraph "democracy must take second place to the higher imperative of Euro rules and membership."

How can anyone have faith in the EU after this.....if you had not already lost it a long time ago

Two threads on this already. One in the cafe and one in main politics forum. Is there really a need for a third?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Democracy wasn't ignored: the conservatives got the plurality of the seats so the president was acting constitutionally by offering them the first chance to form a government.
    There's a good analysis
    here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

How exactly is democracy being Ignored? According to their process in Portugal the party with the most seats and/or the previous government gets the first chance to form a new government, should they fail to gain the confidence of the parliament, then the opposition will get it's turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭gobsh!te

Jim2007 wrote: »
    How exactly is democracy being Ignored? According to their process in Portugal the party with the most seats and/or the previous government gets the first chance to form a new government, should they fail to gain the confidence of the parliament, then the opposition will get it's turn.

The opposition is not being allowed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do us all a favour and read the documentation and references before commenting. And remember that repeating the same thing over and over again does not make it any more true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yes they are. He's giving the winner of the most seats (PaF) the opportunity to form a government first. If they fail in this, he's already stated it's up to parliament to sort this out through a no-confidence motion if they're against this. Nowhere has he stated he will block a left wing government or that "the opposition is not allowed".

Advertisement