Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I effing hate daylight savings time

Options
  • 26-10-2015 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭

gah

Won't somebody please think of the children!

Every year they are ripped out of their carefully crafted routine twice a year and parents are subjected to jetlag without even getting the benefit of a holiday.

Ef you farmers, or whoever thinks we should randomly change clocks around

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

For some reason our little one slept an extra hour yesterday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

The time of dawn and dusk move by c. 20 mins every week, without the interruption of BST adjustment. Has this evolution been factored into their routines already? They must have a great time in June when it's bright from 5am to 10pm.

My understanding is that it's actually parents and kids who are intended to benefit most from the BST adjustment, nothing to do with farmers who couldn't care what time it is.

If you left the clocks as they were in 2 months time it would be pitch black well after 8.30 in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Apart from yesterday being the longest day ever I don't mind the time changes. In fact I appreciate the brighter mornings again when I'm getting them up to head for creche/school

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    For some reason our little one slept an extra hour yesterday ;)

Ours too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The time of dawn and dusk move by c. 20 mins every week, without the interruption of BST adjustment. Has this evolution been factored into their routines already? They must have a great time in June when it's bright from 5am to 10pm.

We have curtains in our house ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My understanding is that it's actually parents and kids who are intended to benefit most from the BST adjustment, nothing to do with farmers who couldn't care what time it is.

If you left the clocks as they were in 2 months time it would be pitch black well after 8.30 in the morning
    It's the sudden shift in the clocks. Young kids wake up at the same time every morning regardless of what the clock says and even regardless of what time they go to bed at.
    When the clocks go back, my kids wake up at half 5 instead of half 6, and their normal bed time leaves them up an extra hour, so they're cranky and out of sorts for days after until they adjust.

I know that dawn and dusk change with the seasons, but changing the clocks is a pain for parents of young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Does no one prepare for this? You can't realistically expect the children to adjust to a 1 hour change in the first night. We build up to the time change, you only need to prepare 1 week in advance, adjust 10-15 minutes every second day or so and they are well on their way to adapting when the time change comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

jester77 wrote: »
    Does no one prepare for this? You can't realistically expect the children to adjust to a 1 hour change in the first night. We build up to the time change, you only need to prepare 1 week in advance, adjust 10-15 minutes every second day or so and they are well on their way to adapting when the time change comes around.

No matter what time we put ours to bed tho they wake up at the same time. If we put ours to bed at 7.45pm or 8pm instead of 7.30pm they would still wake up at 7.30am regardless.

Surprisingly both ours woke at 7am yesterday (which was 8am)... So was happy with that. But this morning both up at 6.30am :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Meh. To be honest, as far as I'm concerned, it's life. There are some things you can't change or control. This is one of them. You just plough on. It rights itself eventually. God knows there are enough other issues with small kids without getting up in a heap about the clock change.

And I speak as the parent of a 16 month old to whom 06:30am is a lie-in. Despite my best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Another 5.30 am start again today.

Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Could be worse... We had 4.55...

Need to do something about it soon as she's knackered. Sitting on the train Googling 1 year old waking at 5am on the way into work now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It worked out well for us. S sleeps much better with a later bedtime and his natural time to go to sleep lately has been 10.30pm - 9.30/10am. It's meant we've been really late for or completely missed so many activities. Now he's conked by 9.30pm and will wake up at 8.30ish so we can do activities again. Of course with a broken leg his activities are limited but we had a lovely outing to a toddler screening at the cinema this morning and have all the fun of the fracture clinic on Thursday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Who keeps constantly resetting the clocks on my youngest?!?! Likevseruiiusly, stop!

Both we fine the first day, slept late so they slept til normal time, but every morning since has been earlier and earlier and they are both resembling bags of cats now ðŸ˜

Advertisement