Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Motorhome?

Options
  • 25-10-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am planning to buy my first motorhome. Having lived in mobile homes during college and early married years while building the house, I am clear enough about what I want/don't want spec wise, but don't know which vans might actually suit.
    I think LHD as my main plan is to be in Europe for large parts of the summer. (I am Mostly retired!)
    Travelling alone for the most part, so one fixed large double bed, with pull down double over cab for visitors.
    Hated the cramped feeling, I think A class is the obvious way to go.
    Good spec important, as my days of roughing it are over, having done the third world and mountain refuges trips over the years!!
    Budget of around 60k+/-

Any suggestions?

I guess a dealer is the way to go.....or anybody out there know a minter going for the right price? I have a horror of being gouged, but it's hard to estimate fair value when there are so many makes & models out there.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Dealers will tell you that there is a scarcity of quality second hand vans here and in Europe. Only 36 new MHs registered in Ireland in the last 3 years. That means only approximately 12 good second hand trade ins per annum on the market. Sterling rates and VRT work against UK imports and it seems that nobody wants to import LHD vans anymore.
    Here's one option for an A-Class new at just a bit more than your budget.
    www.itineo.co.uk Made in the same factory as Rapido.
    Best of luck with whatever you buy. Best midlife crisis decision you'll ever make!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Just had my camper serviced at Pat Horan Motors and noticed they have 3 new LHD SunLiving vans. Probably in your price range.
    I bought our used Dethleffs from them 2 years ago and I have been very pleased with their service.
    PS They are near Borrisokane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

DhyanT wrote: »
    I am planning to buy my first motorhome. Having lived in mobile homes during college and early married years while building the house, I am clear enough about what I want/don't want spec wise, but don't know which vans might actually suit.
    I think LHD as my main plan is to be in Europe for large parts of the summer. (I am Mostly retired!)
    Travelling alone for the most part, so one fixed large double bed, with pull down double over cab for visitors.
    Hated the cramped feeling, I think A class is the obvious way to go.
    Good spec important, as my days of roughing it are over, having done the third world and mountain refuges trips over the years!!
    Budget of around 60k+/-

Any suggestions?

I guess a dealer is the way to go.....or anybody out there know a minter going for the right price? I have a horror of being gouged, but it's hard to estimate fair value when there are so many makes & models out there.
    Thanks

I would forget about accommodating visitors and get the optimum layout for yourself as you'll be using it 99.9% of the time. You see so many people dragging around extra length, height, weight, wind resistance, cramped interiors, squashed dinettes for the time that their friends / kids / grandkids might come and often it never happens or happens so infrequently it would be cheaper to put them up in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DhyanT

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I'm afraid that I'm on my third "midlife crisis" at this stage............first one was a Harley Davidson followed by a MotoGuggi California
    second one.......ummm......whatever! :)

Third one...motorhome!

Do your replies in sum point to maybe looking again at Germany & importing?...if there is such a scarcity here, presumably higher prices will reflect that?

And, yeah, you are right, I will base my choice on my own priorities rather than......
    you'd think that I'd have learned that by now

With that budget there can be only one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 DhyanT

Is that an 'insider joke' that I don't get? :)

Can anybody recommend a good place to go in uk where one can see a large range of Aclass vans?

Preferably near an airport....Stanstead, Luton, Gatwick, Bristol or Manchester?

Thanks

Nope, the underlined text is a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Sir Liamalot occasionally has different views from the main stream!

Advertisement