Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on winter time?

Options
  • 25-10-2015 3:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For me as a farmer it's a PIA, dark at 6pm, rushing around trying to get everything done before darkness falls.

I think in Spring the hour should change a lot earlier. Towards the end of March we are still in bed (I am anyway) at 7am and it is bright outside, in the evenings it's dark at 6.30-7pm, we lose a lot of daylight.

Perhaps this is made worse because we are at the western edge of the GMT timezone, if we lived in London it might be better. Galway is 9 degrees west of Greenwich, which translates to sunrise being I think, 36 minutes later than London.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Why does it matter as a farmer? Its not a 9-5 job. Surely you could ignore the time completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Loved winter in my childhood, the cold wet nights in front of the fire all that sort of stuff.

In later years I suffer a bit from seasonal affect disorder. It really gets me down especially around the clocks going back time. One thing I found great is being out for a walk with the dog around sunset, I find it helps me for some reason.

Id love to see a change to the present hours, there was chatter a few years ago about changing it and how many lives it would save with daylight around schools finishing up and early rush hour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Beersmith wrote: »
    Why does it matter as a farmer? Its not a 9-5 job. Surely you could ignore the time completely?

I appreciate it's not a 9-5 job, but some of us have daily routine things like a school run to do. In summer time yes we can to a certain extent ignore time when days are long.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I thought the point of it was for farmers? If it's a PIA for farmers. really can't see why we're doing it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Seriously?

Daylight saving time has nothin to do with people in primary industry who can set their own hours. It's for those of us who don't get to choose.

• Advertisement

Why? What's the advantage of it changing?

art wrote: »
    Why? What's the advantage of it changing?

For those of us that have fixed working hours it moves the work day forward leaving more time to enjoy the daylight in the evenings. Daylight isn't much use to us when we're asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

art wrote: »
    I thought the point of it was for farmers? If it's a PIA for farmers. really can't see why we're doing it at all.

Historically yes. A wise man noticed that it was bright outside but everyone was fast asleep when they could be working in the fields. So by moving the clocks forward, sunrise was now an hour later so they gained an extra hour of work

Nowadays its fairly pointless. It should be moved forward some march and left at that until the end of time

Senecio wrote: »
    For those of us that have fixed working hours it moves the work day forward leaving more time to enjoy the daylight in the evenings. Daylight isn't much use to us when we're asleep.

We were all talking about winter time though, which moves the clock back and shortens the evening.

Seems I've completely missed the point.

I guess winter time for me is a bit meh? The days are so short and I work such unreasonable hours it would make no difference to me. You could move the clocks forward 3 hours and it would still be pitch black when I get home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Dont get it myself. I train early mornins and in the evenings.

The States dont go back until next week and move forward 2 weeks before us in the Spring ...so they manage the daylight better by 3 weeks

Clocks go back 8 weeks before the shortest day here yet they dont move forward until 13 weeks after the shortest day which makes no sense as well.
    Early march its bright before 7am when most are asleep.
    Even if we copied the States we would gain more waking day light..less car accidents and less SADS imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I like to keep a schedule of go to bed early and get up early so that I can do some excercise before work. I'm definitely a morning person. The clock change just f@cks up my body clock, especially the one in the Spring time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Jaysus... Thought I stumbled into the weather forum for a minute there.. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am just reminded that I have to try and figure out how to change the time on my g-shock, or more likely, not wear it until March.

Advertisement