Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for an adult who wants to improve Irish

Options
  • 24-10-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I'd like to improve my Irish by reading some books . I have leaving cert honors Irish from when I did my Leaving cert back in 2001 . I remember reading a play called An Triall ( The trial) back then . I'm also looking at getting a copy of Peig although I hear she is hardly a barrel of laughs . I'm looking for some books at leaving cert level really , accessible enough but not too challenging . Ideally with English notation or a dictionary at the back from the more unusual words . If any one can help I would much appreciate . Thanks .

Barra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chefvortivask

'A Thig Ná Tit Orm' is on the Leaving Cert course, i did it for my own LC last year and found it quite interesting! Its an autobiography written by Maidhc Dainín Ó Sé about him growing up in Kerry, he has a good sense of humour and I enjoyed a few laughs out of it during an otherwise horrible Irish course

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I don't know anything about contemporary novels being written in Irish, but maybe a translation of a more well known book would do?

http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=An+hobad&search=Find+book

I'd say that if you can find a translation of a book you love, you'll find it easier to get from cover to cover.

Also, somebody took to time to translate The Hobbit. That's mad. Might give it a go myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

There are many Irish language novels for adult Irish learners (much better than anything on the leaving cert course). Don't torment yourself with boring books!

Publishers such as Coiscéim and CIC produce them with dictionaries either on the bottom of the page or at the back.

Take a trip into An Siopa Leabhar on Harcourt St. or use Litriocht.com to get a flavour of what's on offer.

Just to give you a few examples:
    AN GEALL - Liam Mac Ustin
    An Svaistíce Glas -Liam Mac Uistin
    NA COMHARSANA NUA - Éamonn Ó Loingsigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Just found this also:

http://www.iriscomhar.com/siopa-leabhair2.php?c=2

and

Book Launch: LeabhairCOMHAR ‘Foghlaimeoir Fásta’
    by ADMIN on SEPTEMBER 18, 2015
    DBF-Events-100x150-33When: Sunday 15 November, from 3.30pm – 4.30pm

Where: Boys’ School, Smock Alley Theatre

Cost: Free entry | BOOK NOW

Seoladh leabhar agus ócáid caidrimh d’fhoghlaimeoirí fásta:

Seolfaidh Doireann Ní Bhriain úrscéal nua ag LeabhairCOMHAR d’fhoghlaimeoirí fásta, Cathair an Tíogair. Labhróidh an t-údar, Feargal Ó Dubhghaill, faoin úrscéal agus léifidh sé sleachta as. Cuirfear sóláistí agus deis caidrimh ar fáil. Fáilte roimh fhoghlaimeoirí agus léitheoirí ar chuile chaighdeán.

Book launch and social event for adult learners of Irish:

Doireann Ní Bhriain will launch Cathair an Tíogair, the latest novel in LeabhairCOMHAR’s Foghlaimeoir Fásta (adult learner) series. Come and hear author Feargal Ó Dubhghaill discuss the novel and read excerpts. Refreshments provided – all levels of fluency welcome.

http://www.dublinbookfestival.com/category/news/welcome-2015/book-launch-leabhaircomhar-foghlaimeoir-fasta/

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Thanks Dughorm , do you know if that range of books are stocked in shops / libaries ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Thanks Dughorm , do you know if that range of books are stocked in shops / libaries ?

Easons on Oconnell Street have a section as Gaeilge with lots of choice

It's also possible to do a search of your local library catalogue to see if the book you want is stocked.
    Also if they don't have it they can usually order it in from another branch that does

I read "Dunmharu ar an DART" and thought it was good. Accessible but with some new vocab too

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

I find my local library a great source of Irish reading material of all levels. They are so helpful they will try to get you a particular book if you wish. It's good to read contemporary books because you will learn today's irish and new terminology. You'll also come across books like Peig and Dúil which have beautiful old irish, Go n'éiri an t-áth leat.

Deranged96 wrote: »
    I'd say that if you can find a translation of a book you love, you'll find it easier to get from cover to cover.

Aontaím / agreed.

I found a copy of The Little Prince translated into Irish a few days ago - one of my favourite books ever.

41F7vtPOikL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Also, somebody took to time to translate The Hobbit. That's mad. Might give it a go myself.

And you can get at least one of the Harry Potter series as well, if that floats one's boat.

51J4N6Y0WML._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Forget books. Buntús cainte is good for widening your phrases. But if you want to learn how to speak Irish, you'll need to find a conversational group or you will never become comfortable at speaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Also an OPenDoor series a number of years ago - Maeve Binchy, Roddy Doyle etc

The Open Door Series: As Gaeilge

Published for the first time in the Irish language, previous Open Door stories by literary superstars such as Roddy Doyle, Marian Keyes, John Connolly, Deirdre Purcell, Julie Parsons, Vincent Banville, Maeve Binchy and Patricia Scanlan have now been released in a special edition - As Gaeilge! Contributing authors Patricia Scanlan, Deirdre Purcell and Julie Parsons all attended on the night.

You can buy these books online from New Island Publishing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Forget books.

I doubt you'll find many who'll agree with you there! One of the leading international experts in language acquisition, Stephen Krashen, for example:
    Most recently, Krashen promotes the use of free voluntary reading during second-language acquisition, which he says "is the most powerful tool we have in language education, first and second."

An File wrote: »
    I doubt you'll find many who'll agree with you there! One of the leading international experts in language acquisition, Stephen Krashen, for example:

I doubt I'd have to walk very far before I meet ten people who'd agree with me.

The value placed on books as a teaching tool for languages is misplaced time. Listen to what people like Benny the Irish Polyglot are saying. That actually speaking the language, and immersing yourself it is the most functional method of language acquisition - and not wasting time on books.

Books have a certain role in learning a language, but it's a very minimal. I say that as someone who spent 13 years learning the Irish language through books, and came out at the other end without able to string more than a few basic phrases together.

I learned the language and became comfortable at speaking it through immersing myself in it - through conversational groups, trips to the gaeltacht, nights out in Club Conradh, etc...

I also tried classes, books and had very little to show for it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are you talking about language instruction books, or books in general? Because the ability to read for pleasure, in any language, is absolutely not "wasting time".

An File wrote: »
    Are you talking about language instruction books, or books in general? Because the ability to read for pleasure, in any language, is absolutely not "wasting time".

Language instruction. Of course I don't oppose reading books in general. But wasting time on trying to "learn" a language from a book is misplaced time. The most functional way to learn, is to speak it. Immerse yourself in it.

Language instruction. Of course I don't oppose reading books in general. But wasting time on trying to "learn" a language from a book is misplaced time. The most functional way to learn, is to speak it. Immerse yourself in it.

That's fair enough. I'd agree with you that meaningful speaking and listening with other speakers is vital.

I think the OP of this thread already has the basics, though. Novels, novellas and short stories could be very helpful to them. At least with a good story you'll be motivated/excited to keep coming back to find out what happens next. Phrases and grammar books are a different kettle of fish altogether.

And you can take a good book to many places a person wouldn't fit! :pac:

Once you have the basics of a language, isn't reading the most effective way to expand your vocabulary?

It worked for most people I know in English, at any rate. :pac:

Advertisement