Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good insurance companies?

Options
  • 23-10-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm a male, aged 20 just passed my test looking to get first time insurance on my 1 litre polo. No NCB and no previous driving experience.

Friends have mentioned:

Boxymo
    Axa
    First Ireland
    Britton insurance.

Any of these good/the best?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is there such thing as a 'Good' insurance company? They're all pretty much the same, but some require more Vaseline than others.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Call them all, and as many as you can find.

Understand the difference between a broker and underwriter and decide what cover you want. If it were me, I'd just want the disc in the window.

(Britton, is a broker, not an insurance comany)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

smash wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a 'Good' insurance company? They're all pretty much the same, but some require more Vaseline than others.

To be fair I'm with liberty and I find them great, very helpful when I was involved ina crash earlier on in the year, and very very reasonable premium on a high performance jap import.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Liberty seem to be good for younger drivers price wise I (21 years old) and a few friends are insured with them not that it's going to be cheap either way at 20. Best thing to do is shop around just because Liberty are cheap for me doesn't mean they won't be sky high for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I have spent the last 2 weeks calling literally everyone(I have pretty much called all the insurance companies and brokers I could find on google). The cheapest I have gotten (im young with no driving experience either) is coverinaclick.ie . When I have told other brokers what I have been quoted by coverinaclick, they said its really good value( no even said dont bother calling anyone else as the price is that competitive). The next best was AA. It was still like 5% more expensive. But better than €5600 from liberty insurance

Had a good experience and good quote from coverme.ie recently on a similar car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

JC01 wrote: »
    To be fair I'm with liberty and I find them great, very helpful when I was involved ina crash earlier on in the year, and very very reasonable premium on a high performance jap import.

Define reasonable premium and define high performance. This is where opinions might differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

smash wrote: »
    Define reasonable premium and define high performance. This is where opinions might differ.

23 yr old, 2.5 turbo Nissan skyline, light mods declared, 3 years ncb, 4 points, 1250e

Few of my mates have similar cars and I seem to be the cheapest insurance wise by a good margin

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

JC01 wrote: »
    23 yr old, 2.5 turbo Nissan skyline, light mods declared, 3 years ncb, 4 points, 1250e

Few of my mates have similar cars and I seem to be the cheapest insurance wise by a good margin

Very good quote in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It is indeed. Hmmm, well if my broker doesn't come up trumps for me this next renewal(and to be fair he usually does), I'll be on the phone to Liberty. Looking down the barrel of 50 years old I'm not that far off paying that on a Jap import 98 Teg Type R with no mods and no points and no claims and on a full licence since god was a boy. Even among performance Japanese yokes the Honda R's cause insurance companies to start waving red flags around like a Chairman Mao rally. Funny enough when I first got it ten years ago :eek: it was slightly cheaper to insure the import examples over the Irish spec for some reason. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP I was warned that the rates were changing in November. I phoned up to say I want to pay my quote of €2310. But I wanted to start on the 1st of November. I was told that from the 1st of November it was going to be €2700 due to the rates changing

Try and buy insurance before the rates change for November

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

I was with Liberty until this years renewal as they bumped the price up so it was more expensive than the year before.
    I asked why it had gone up so much with respect to a much cheaper price for the same car, but a few years younger, and the reply was "we do not have to justify our quotes to customers".

I am with RSA now, and they are quite a bit cheaper than Liberty for the same cover. Cheaper than last years price too.

Advertisement