Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 Phase Charge Point

Options
  • 23-10-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

We have a 3 phase supply at work and I am looking for advice on options for a charging station. With the i3 I'd prefer to have CCS but the minimum needed will be a 2 car station. I've been looking online and there seems to be loads of options but I was hoping someone on here could recommend a specific device.

Comments

You don't need 3 phase for work charging, single phase and 16 amps is more than good enough.

CCS @45-50 Kw would be a tremendous waste unless you have a EV Taxi With CCS capability.

Also if you only had CCS charging at work then you greatly limit the number of cars that could fast charge. For a fast charger you'd need one of the triple headed units that support AC, CCS and ChaDeMo.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

You don't need 3 phase for work charging, single phase and 16 amps is more than good enough.

CCS @45-50 Kw would be a tremendous waste unless you have a EV Taxi With CCS capability.

Also if you only had CCS charging at work then you greatly limit the number of cars that could fast charge. For a fast charger you'd need one of the triple headed units that support AC, CCS and ChaDeMo.

Thanks for telling me what I need

Now what I WANT is to install a three phase charger that will allow us to recharge EV's quickly at work. I would like to have CCS for the i3 but its not a show stopper. We have a 3 phase supply and I would like to utilize it. The main thing is that the charger can handle multiple cars. I am asking for recommendations of specific devices.

That is what I WANT again I know I don't need it but ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Stick with a 32a dual charger, it will still be pretty quick at 7.4kw. I'd say a triple standard fast charger would be cost prohibitive if you need to be able to provide for Leaf's/Zoe's etc.

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Thanks for telling me what I need

Now what I WANT is to install a three phase charger that will allow us to recharge EV's quickly at work. I would like to have CCS for the i3 but its not a show stopper. We have a 3 phase supply and I would like to utilize it. The main thing is that the charger can handle multiple cars. I am asking for recommendations of specific devices.

That is what I WANT again I know I don't need it but ......

time travelling mod note: Stop the insults

Jesus you're a bit of an ASS aren't you !!!!

Takes one to know one :D

• Advertisement

I know I could use the granny cable at work to charge from 9 to 5 or I could get a standard 32A dual charger.

However I am looking for recommendations on fast chargers that could be fitted and if necessary utilize our three phase supply. There are a number of us buying or planning on buying EV's and I would of course like to cover all options. Cost would not be the only deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Most of the three phase dual port options available are not wall mount.

A three-phase 22kW costs basically the same as a single phase EVSE. The cost difference is usually 10-20%. With few exceptions anyone with a three phase supply should be installing 22kW EVSE.

I like the rolec pedestals personally, this is the basic one but if the location is vulnerable you can get hardened versions for more moolah:
    http://www.nucharge.co.uk/shop/ev-charge-points.html/work-place-charge-points.html/rolec-ev-basiccharge-2-x-32amp-3phase-type-2.html

The cheapest CCS options start at €5k per charger. The efacec QC24S is the best of the bunch, but they are still in sampling, not full production.
    http://www.siemens.co.uk/traffic/pool/documents/brochure/qc24.pdf

You'd need an OCPP backend... which eCars might be willing to provide. If you want to go that route PM me your contact details and I'll get you in touch with the right people.

Personally while I think DC charging is the future for home and work charging, for the moment 22kW type 2 AC is the appropriate fit, allows everyone to charge.

Thank you cros13 thats very helpful.

Can you clarify why I would need an OCPP Backend? Is that for billing purposes?
    We are a small business with secure parking and would be providing the service free of charge to employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Thank you cros13 thats very helpful.

Can you clarify why I would need an OCPP Backend? Is that for billing purposes?
    We are a small business with secure parking and would be providing the service free of charge to employees.

Yup, it's for billing and authentication. Unfortunately most of the DC rapid chargers at the moment can't just operate in place and assume that you have this infrastructure. Some do have a standalone mode but as far as I'm aware none of the 24kW DCs do.

I also pointed out a single vehicle DC charger, because although there are proper modular multi-port DC chargers available (i.e. that can charge multiple DC supplied cars simultaneously) they are prohibitively expensive, you could buy ten 24kW Chademo and CCS rapids for the price of one multi-port 120kW (the 120kW is shared between all the cars charging).

I still think for a small business 22kW AC is the way to go. In three years time you'll all have mostly 11kW and 22kW charging EVs. And most people are at the office for at least a few hours a day. The lower cost also allows you to put 10-12 type 2 sockets for the same price as one 24kW CCS DC charger.

You also have to think about maintenance. A DC rapid is going to break occasionally, a 22kW AC socket.. is just a fancy outdoor socket. Without the authentication and billing it won't have any more issues than your outside sockets do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I don't see a future for high power AC charging. It makes no sense to tow a big charger in the car around with you ( or pay for it )

DC charging will be where it's at. I think personally, there's one or two small CHADEMO units now on the market at around 5000 euros etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement