Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last fling for the long weekend?

Options
  • 22-10-2015 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

I know the forecast is bad and more in hope than expectation, we'll have one last fling before the winter closes in. Lough Derg on Saturday and (dropping teenager off to stay with her friend on the way) probably Baltimore or somewhere on the south coast for Sunday.
    Am I the only optimist out there? I'm certain we'll get washed out.
    I makes me think though - what are the best winter/off season places you've been to? Ireland or Europe?

I'll start with two:
    Dingle pier in Winter on New Year's eve.

Monpazier in France in November - Deserted, crunching with ice underfoot and magical. All the summer tourists gone and just like it was a century (-or four - ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    I know the forecast is bad and more in hope than expectation, we'll have one last fling before the winter closes in. Lough Derg on Saturday and (dropping teenager off to stay with her friend on the way) probably Baltimore or somewhere on the south coast for Sunday.
    I makes me think though - what are the best winter/off season places you've been to? Ireland or Europe?

I'll start with two:

Monpazier in France in November - Deserted, crunching with ice underfoot and magical. All the summer tourists gone and just like it was a century (-or four - ago.

Well my wife subscribes to the theory that theres no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes we've had to dig out the salopettes and ski jackets a few times.

Castlegregoy, Barleycove, Fanore, Mullaghmore in a gale are just awe inspiring.

Last time I stayed on the pier in dingle on new years there was lots of people jumping on cars in the parking lot, saw one of the locals pissing in the window of a squad car while the guards were dealing with a brawl, saw two bouncers having to lock a guy *in* the pub because they couldn't handle him .. feckin mental weekend must have been PCP in the pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone been up the Coast Road in Antrim this time of year?
    I think the Carrickareed rope bridge is closed off, but I haven't been up Cushendall/Cushendun since I was in short pants, and feel like a jaunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Anyone been up the Coast Road in Antrim this time of year?
    I think the Carrickareed rope bridge is closed off, but I haven't been up Cushendall/Cushendun since I was in short pants, and feel like a jaunt.
    Last time I was there was late nineties in a car. I seem to remember the coast road being very narrow in places but maybe I'm wrong? Beautiful part of the country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

SeamusG97 wrote: »

I'll start with two:

Six or seven Campers in Tramore today - at Splashworld car park - the height barrier not in operation. With a small investment that spot would make a great Aire - €10 a night would be well worth it for location and convenience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 white van man pyh90tm

cliffs of moher

• Advertisement

In the end we stayed around Lough Derg - the weather held out and it was perfect. Driving south along the west of the lake we stopped off at Dromane-a place better known to boaters than Motorhomers. Near Whitegate it is a lovely secluded pier with a fixed barbeque and perfect setting. Wildcamp Heaven.

Well my wife subscribes to the theory that theres no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes we've had to dig out the salopettes and ski jackets a few times.

Castlegregoy, Barleycove, Fanore, Mullaghmore in a gale are just awe inspiring.

Last time I stayed on the pier in dingle on new years there was lots of people jumping on cars in the parking lot, saw one of the locals pissing in the window of a squad car while the guards were dealing with a brawl, saw two bouncers having to lock a guy *in* the pub because they couldn't handle him .. feckin mental weekend must have been PCP in the pints.

Wasn't me. Honest.....,,,

Advertisement