Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do fallen leaves do any harm to lawns?

Options
  • 22-10-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭

Half of my front garden is overshadowed by large trees, and with the onset of autumn plus the winds last night, the lawn was hidden under an inch thick blanket of leaves this morning.

I spent an hour or so raking them up today as I am still doing cuts, but I was wondering will they damage the lawn at all?

I know it will get covered again as still plenty of leaves to come down, just wondering should I keep raking them or just let them be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Yes they generally do. Clumps will yellow/white patches, where leaves havent received light. Can also act as areas for pests to sheler for winter and for buildup of diseases to overwinter. It stops the grass growing and reduces air circulation, thus increasing likelihood of disease. A simple mowing of the lawn will clear most of the leaves, just dont mow if ground is to soft or frozen, or if frost is expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I would use the mower to clear them up. If there is not too much volume in the grass, the mixture of grass cuttings and leaves will make a valuable addition to your compost.

Advertisement