Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kasparov banned by FIDE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

So it's not just FIFA!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Reading that implies he can still play tournaments.

Would be fun to see him enter a couple of tournaments out of spite!

$500k for a vote is silly, but makes you wonder what Kirsan is doing to get votes. I'm sure Kasparov was just playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ballynafeigh Chess

If he was paying $500,000 to Singapore for a vote I'm delighted he wasn't elected, not because I'm taking and anti-corruption stance but because I'm taking an anti-stupid stance!
    If he and his team were so daft as to think they were close enough to Kirsan to buy votes to secure victory when in fact they were humiliated in the count then they didn't have the brains or the foresight to lead FIDE in the first place.
    The ban wasn't long enough they should add another couple for being a complete numpty

Where's our $500k?

The Development Officer could only get €5k. Sign of a weak negotiator there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I thought it was one vote per country. In which case, it would be more effective to make deals with small poor countries as opposed to places like Singapore. Assuming any of this is actually true.

• Advertisement

Lucena wrote: »
    Assuming any of this is actually true.
    I'd say it is true. Bit dangerous to make up and act on an allegation like that if it isn't true.

But equally, I'd say it's just the game that has to be played to get into power.

Lucena wrote: »
    I thought it was one vote per country. In which case, it would be more effective to make deals with small poor countries

Wow Ireland and Greece could have cut a deal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

This is a KGB plot to discredit Kasparov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

This is not 500 000 for one vote indeed. Mr Leong who lost elections in his own Federation recently has promised the few ( I think 11 ) votes from Asia according to the contract signed by him and Kasparov . Mr Leong was very important figure in Asia and close friend to current Fide President . Kasparov as well promised and signed to open FIDE Academy in Singapore as well . Regarding 5000 euros . We got the 5000 euros despite ICU did not vote for Kirsan or Zurab. However I have to inform you that Kasparov have promised 5 000 euros to previous Development Officer . At the time of the election previous Development Officer was in touch with Kasparovs team on daily basis. The 5000 euros promised by Kasparov never hit the ICU account . The contract between Kasparov and Leong can be easily found online . It was signed as well by lawyer from Norway .
    Kasparov Chess Foundation and Leong’s company Asian Chess Academy were also supposed to establish a new organization, Kasparov Chess Foundation Asia, which was supposed to transfer $1 million to Leong’s firm in case of Kasparov’s victory.

The document properties of the attached PDF file showed it was created by Morten Sand, a Norwegian Attorney at Law and former adivsor to the FIDE Presidential board. On Jan. 19 Sand issued a statement confirming that his law firm had a regular retainer contract as an advisor helping Garry Kasparov to become the next FIDE President, and that the draft contract being circulated was indeed by him.

Well how else would Kasparov defend himself then that all this is done by Putin and Kirsan?

Yep all the hall mark of the KGB <snip>

Mod note - I know we can work out who other posters are, but still, the general forum charter is not to identify posters

• Advertisement

Or was it the work of the aliens that Kirsan "talks" to from time to time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

Usual stuff here. You dont talk about deal but finding excuses. Same as at the AGM - the officer sign another officer of the ICU Executive and then he send the false norm application in his name. Few days after he did that he informed the Rating officer of this. Reaction . Lets award him to be new tournament controller. In State where people believe in Lepricons and where people bless them on every junction Alien story is not that bad !

Same as at the AGM - the officer sign another officer of the ICU Executive and then he send the false norm application in his name. Few days after he did that he informed the Rating officer of this.
    Can we nip this crap in the bud please?

The completed application was sent to the ratings officer with an indication that it had been signed out of convenience. That is not forgery. The ratings officer has never claimed his signature was forged. If you have proof the form was sent somewhere (where?) a few days before being sent to the ratings officer - a completely new claim - then let's have it. Otherwise, don't go dragging threads off topic. I think Irish chess is best served by putting last year behind it.

Kasparov as well promised and signed to open FIDE Academy in Singapore as well........... ICU did not vote for Kirsan or Zurab.

A FIDE Academy is apparently nothing at all, indeed the previous ICU board has supported one for Belfast, a board you were a member of! It is being run by someone who has never played chess in Ireland, has never played in a tournament in Ulster or in any league match for any club in Ulster? Not only that but has never even turn up to even be a spectator at any chess event in Ulster, the children that he coaches (allegedly) have never played in any Ulster tournament which is surprising as children until recently got free entry into Ulster chess tournament.

He has already received 20,000 Euro from FIDE/ECU according to the ICU FIDE delegate who claimed to have signed the cheque, with another 80,000 Euro earmarked for him. I was at pains to point out that not one single euro had been spent on children’s chess in Ulster but the FIDE delegate assured me that he knew more about Ulster Chess than I did ("you wouldn't know about it, this stuff goes on in children’s chess all the time")
    At this point the FIDE delegate was informed most clearly that the UCU run the children’s chess in Ulster we run the schools chess in Ulster and that the only dealings we had with this mystery person was when we brought kids to a tournament that he was organising because he only had 3 neither we nor the UCU kids have been back.

But the ICU has been back in style with a grand endorsement for a FIDE academy in Belfast for a man who put up a fraudulent website with fictitious members for a fictitious Northern Ireland Chess Association lifting member’s profiles from Texas and California and passing them off as members of his imaginary association. Not happy with that he then made up the fraudulent Belfast chess club and did the same thing with a dozen members rated from 2200 to 2540 also lifted off American websites and chess clubs.

But <snip> it was your board which supported this without investigating any of it or contacting the UCU to see if we were happy with it. We were not! We have been ringing the alarm bells quite loudly but nobody in the ICU gave a flying %&#* and still don’t! You ramble on all the time because you got 5,000 euro once and here’s twenty times that heading to someone with fraudulent websites a fictitious association and an imaginary chess club. Would you like to comment on that <snip>?

Ireland didn’t vote for Kirsan you claim, you don’t know that unless you have the ballot paper, do you have the ballot paper <snip>?

Mod note - I know we can work out who other posters are, but still, the general forum charter is not to identify posters

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lecale

When you say FIDE delegate, you're talking about the ICU's FIDE delegate, Kevin O'?

Lecale wrote: »
    When you say FIDE delegate, you're talking about the ICU's FIDE delegate, Kevin O'?

Yes I am

Advertisement