Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am an absolute clothes noob and I'm seeking your wisdom about tailoring a suit

Options
  • 22-10-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

The first question I have is: if I hand in a suit tomorrow to a tailor and ask them to make it fit me better, how long will it take them to have it done? I would need it by about a week, if that's not stretching it? (Uh, bad choice of word.)

Second question is, are all suits tailor-able? I've heard something about the trousers having to be designed in a certain way so that they can be easily altered?

Basically, I don't want to walk into a tailors and sound like a clueless eejit.

Finally, would you recommend anywhere in the city centre in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

My advice is just go to your local tailor and bring the suit with you. They will be be able to tell you want the can and can't do for you and how long it will take. Most things can be done by tailors assuming you want certain places to be taken in. They know most people don't know the exact terminology and are used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The only thing you need to make sure is that the jacket fits you around the shoulders when you buy it in the shop, and that it is long enough. Everything else can be altered, the fit, the sleeve length, the length of the trousers, the seat of the trousers.

If the jacket doesn't fit your shoulders it never will. The shoulders should be neat and flat looking, with no bulges. Lift your arms up to the side and if you see too much of a buckle on the outside of the shoulder, it is most likely too wide. Also a bad fit will have a "collar gap" - the collar of the jacket should be flush against the back of your shirt collar, with no gap showing.

The jacket should ideally cover your buttocks - I know there is a trend for smaller, shorter jackets, but please don't go there. A classic jacket should fit longer and will look better on you.

When you go to the tailor, tell him what you want done - the jacket will either need to be taken in or let out, the sleeves adjusted, and the trousers adjusted to fit. They won't be able to adjust the shoulders which is why it's imperative to get that right when buying.

He'll get you to put on the suit and then will go around with pins and make notes about what to do. Depending on the tailor, it should take less than a week. Cost will vary.

I'm always going on about him, but I 100% recommend Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow Street - a small door on the left as you walk away from Grafton Street. He's great, will do a proper job, doesn't cost much, and you'll walk out with a fantastic fitting suit. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Purpleskies

Excuse the late reply--thank you very much, I appreciate that a lot.

Advertisement