Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slightly unusual hurley query

Options
  • 22-10-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all, this isn't your usual hurley query, I play hurling and know how to keep them in shape for playing. No, my query relates to a commemorative hurley I have. It was signed by all the KK 4 in a row team in 2009 and I'm just worried that the signatures will start to fade over time. Currently the hurley looks brand new and the signatures are perfect. I am just wondering is there anything I can apply to it to preserve the signatures, I'm afraid to try anything in case the signatures "wash off". I know hurlers apply resins and oils to hurleys but sometimes this changes the colour or darkens it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Shellac ( transparent French polish ) is probably the only agent that will not react with marker but try it an a scrap first. !
    I would think keeping it out of sunlight would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

bodun wrote: »
    Hi all, this isn't your usual hurley query, I play hurling and know how to keep them in shape for playing. No, my query relates to a commemorative hurley I have. It was signed by all the KK 4 in a row team in 2009 and I'm just worried that the signatures will start to fade over time. Currently the hurley looks brand new and the signatures are perfect. I am just wondering is there anything I can apply to it to preserve the signatures, I'm afraid to try anything in case the signatures "wash off". I know hurlers apply resins and oils to hurleys but sometimes this changes the colour or darkens

Have you thought about getting it vacuum packed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

recipio wrote: »
    Shellac ( transparent French polish ) is probably the only agent that will not react with marker but try it an a scrap first. !
    I would think keeping it out of sunlight would be your best bet.

But shellac contains a solvent that makes the shelac flakes liquid.
    This is ethanol, which might dissolve the materials used in the autographs???

My son uses a lot of clearcast resin products in prostethics for film productions ect. I will ask him about this, but it will be the weekend.

kadman

Advertisement