Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the future day (gaming edition)

Options
  • 21-10-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

It's October 21st 2015, the day Marty and Doc travel to in the future. It's got me thinking, if they expected flying cars and hover boards in 2015, what did people think video games would be like 30 years on from the spectrum, Mario bros etc. Has gaming evolved at a quick rate since 1985? Personally I think it has, and could never of imagined how real games have become, visually at least.

So what do you guys think, and what will gaming be like in another 30 years time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I wanted Lawnmower Man but with better graphics obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"You have to use your hands?" "That's like a baby's toy"

Kinect not for babies confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The Back to the Future game from telltale is Rubbish.
    I completed BTTF 3 back in the day on the Megadrive, tried it recently on an emulator...it's too hard :(

As for gaming evolution...well yes it's come a long way since 1985. But I would probably have expected more in 30 years back then, as they had already sent people to the moon by then. So visions of the future like, BTTF and BladeRunner etc, were probably what some people would have imagined.

Between now and 2045.....I hope VR will be a fully realised thing, though by then I'll be 60 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The biggest thing I fear is 3TB patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The Back to the Future game from telltale is Rubbish.
    I completed BTTF 3 back in the day on the Megadrive, tried it recently on an emulator...it's too hard :(

:(

That game was rock hard, I dont remember what the first section was - catch the runaway cart I think? but I remember only beating it once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My american friends hate it even more. The game was made by a British team for PAL home computers so was designed to run at 50Hz. When they converted it to NTSC they didn't slow the game down so it runs even faster over there making the next to impossible horse riding section at the very start of the game just plain impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My american friends hate it even more. The game was made by a British team for PAL home computers so was designed to run at 50Hz. When they converted it to NTSC they didn't slow the game down so it runs even faster over there making the next to impossible horse riding section at the very start of the game just plain impossible.
    That game was rock hard, I dont remember what the first section was - catch the runaway cart I think? but I remember only beating it once.

Yeah, If I remember correctly the train was the last section....the first was the horseriding...dodging the flies and jumping logs (I think I may have played is so many times I just ended up memorising the level) there was a pie throwing level...and a kind of duck shooting level.
    I only stuck with it at the time....because I was 9 or 10...and I didn't have the money to constantly buy new games etc.....back then you stuck with a game :eek:...even if it was painful

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭da gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I completed BTTF 3 back in the day on the Megadrive, tried it recently on an emulator...it's too hard(

That's serious going, that game was so difficult. It was one of the hardest games of the time, that and Time Lord on the nes, now there was a difficult game to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The graphics on the back of the C64 game to be actual C64 graphics:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Well at this rate they'll be 17fps, black and white for true classic cinematic feel and just one button on the pad. You press it for optional QTEs and are deducted points and get the bad ending if you don't accept the black, transgendered romance that's forced on the player character. The true ending is payed DLC.

For real, though... I think AR headsets will be a standard at that point and there would be many cool ways to incorporate different types of video games into your immediate enviornment. Think of Heavy Rain's Ari glasses that Nahmen Jayden Eff Bee Eye uses. VR will definitely have a place, too.

For standard sit down at desk/couch and play video games on a screen with a pad/keyboard... I'm really not sure what games will be like for that traditional setting. More than anything I hope by then software will have advanced enough so that VMs and emulators will work flawlessly so we can enjoy all of our old library of games even up to current generation stuff like PS4, but on a platform we control. MGS4 w/ MGO2, dedicated fan servers, at a stable framerate, higer resolution, any controller we want, on something like Linux. Gaming utopia :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2557196-his_pic01_zoom.jpg

We've come a long way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

To my eyes there more of a jump from the 1998 image to the 2001 image than all of the years since then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

90M2rUT.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

ionapaul wrote: »
    To my eyes there more of a jump from the 1998 image to the 2001 image than all of the years since then! :)

Agreed, I don't think there has been a monumental jump since the days of the Gamecube/ XBox/ PS2. The next stage will be the VR/ hololens experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

da gamer wrote: »
    That's serious going, that game was so difficult. It was one of the hardest games of the time, that and Time Lord on the nes, now there was a difficult game to complete.

I got stuck on that Mexican boss. He. would. just. not. die. Spent ages shooting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭da gamer

Biggest leap in gaming for me was from the 16 bit era to the 32 bit era. Going from pretty much only controlling your player from left to right to exploring tombs in 32 bit 3d in tomb raider et al blew my mind away

Advertisement