Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway October weekend

Options
  • 21-10-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

The OH and I were thinking of bringing the camper to Galway this weekend.
    We would use a campsite but they all seem to be closed.

Any recommendations on somewhere safe to park?

The vehicle is a Ducato conversion, so not a big footprint, if that's relevant.

Edit: Ooops should have posted in the "Locations" subforum. Apologies mods, please move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Docks

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Thanks Ben
    We ended up there for the night. €4 covers you til 8am the following morning, after that it's €2 an hour, which you can pay at the time.
    So a tenner paid me until 11am, which was plenty.

Word to the wise: I was talking to one man who told me the council are very vigilant on making sure everybody is paid up and can be quick to clamp, especially if it's a camper they haven't seen before.
    Sure enough there was a man going up and down the next morning checking all the windscreens. I didn't see whether he nabbed anyone, but it's worth noting they were checking on a Sunday morning in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Thanks Ben
    We ended up there for the night. €4 covers you til 8am the following morning, after that it's €2 an hour, which you can pay at the time.

Word to the wise: I was talking to one man who told me the council are very vigilant on making sure everybody is paid up and can be quick to clamp, especially if it's a camper they haven't seen before.
    Sure enough there was a man going up and down the next morning checking all the windscreens. I didn't see whether he nabbed anyone, but it's worth noting they were checking on a Sunday morning in October.

Good to know its open again, there was a spat with the council over it. Was it very busy? How many spaces are there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

We stayed at the docks on Sunday night after the fabulous Macnas Halloween parade through the city .
    I guess there was at least 15 campers parked up for the night .
    The electric hookup points were covered up with black plastic bags .
    It was our first time staying there and I can't believe how handy it is for wandering around the city enjoying a beer and some lovely grub .

Thanks Ben

Theres no way I'd be up at 8am after a night out in Galway to put up a new ticket I wonder is there a bit of leeway if you've paid overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Theres no way I'd be up at 8am after a night out in Galway to put up a new ticket I wonder is there a bit of leeway if you've paid overnight.

The last time I overnighted in Galway, in a public car park, the system was the same as here in Mayo. Any ticket taken from the machine after the day time period ended, or exceeded the day time period, came into affect, or resumed, from the start of the next day.

Not sure how you would check if this is still the case though.

The last time I overnighted in Galway, in a public car park, the system was the same as here in Mayo. Any ticket taken from the machine after the day time period ended, or exceeded the day time period, came into affect, or resumed, from the start of the next day.

Same.

The parking tag is pretty handy in Dublin. If you hear the jingle jangle of the aulde clamper triangle just pay by text and tell them to eff. off as politely as you please. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I probably didn't make myself very clear. When you are paying for the overnight, you can put in more money at that point for the extra time the following morning.
    So when buying my ticket at 7pm, I put in €4 to get me to 8am the following morning then put in an extra 6 to get me to 11am.

Has to be the same transaction, or you'll get two tickets for 8am.

I probably didn't make myself very clear. When you are paying for the overnight, you can put in more money at that point for the extra time the following morning.
    So when buying my ticket at 7pm, I put in €4 to get me to 8am the following morning then put in an extra 6 to get me to 11am.

Super thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Don't try this in Mayo, if you do you'll get 2 tickets starting at the same time but with a different end time. The ticket machine would just take the second amount of money as being from another person!.

Perhaps the machines are a different type in Galway now designed for campers? not the standard car park machines?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement