Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 Semi Finals

Options
  • 21-10-2015 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Boks first to name their team for the weekend semi finals

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34592472

Willie le Roux; JP Pietersen, Jesse Kriel, Damian De Allende, Bryan Habana; Handre Pollard, Fourie du Preez (captain); Duane Vermeulen, Schalk Burger, Francois Louw; Lood de Jager, Eben Etzebeth; Frans Malherbe, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Jannie du Plessis, Victor Matfield, Willem Alberts, Ruan Pienaar, Pat Lambie, Jan Serfontein

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Habana to break Lomu and Campese's records this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Fancy Argentina to make it to their first final.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Fancy Argentina to make it to their first final.

So do I tbh.

I'll be rooting for them anyway as the team that beat us.

Losing out to eventual world champions/finalists would make it easier to bear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stheno wrote: »
    So do I tbh.

I'll be rooting for them anyway as the team that beat us.

Losing out to eventual world champions/finalists would make it easier to bear :)

I'd like to see Argentina make the final but I fancy Australia to be honest. I expect a bit of a backlash from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Argentina South Africa final please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Can't wait to see how Argentina go. Their form in the WC looks stronger than Aus. Bookies don't agree at all and make Aus heavy favourites.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah one of the things throughout the tournament was that the Oz scrum looked good but it stumbled a bit against Scotland. I could see the same happening with Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Argentina will be up for it against a poor Australia and with the chance of making it to the final they will be even more eager to play and win against them.

As for South Africa they have a lot to prove after their disastrous performance of late. Lets call a spade a spade they played crummy against Japan, these guys former reigning champions get defeated on the world stage. They need to become a lot better in order to take on New Zealand and you never know a redo of the 1995 world cup final could end up getting them through.

I reckon either an Argentinian All Blacks encounter or an Australian All Blacks encounter. These teams will want to show case their talent now they have hit the knockout stages. Let the games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah one of the things throughout the tournament was that the Oz scrum looked good but it stumbled a bit against Scotland. I could see the same happening with Argentina.

Think the referee was very harsh on Australia in the scrum against Scotland,looked like the front row for Scotland buckled each time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I expect convincing wins for both Australia and New Zealand. I think the aussies had one eye on this game last week. The Aussie back row won't allow Argentina the same easy quick ball we did and that will stifle their attack.

South Africa simply won't be able to live with the nz pace, and I don't rate their backs as great defenders in any play apart from a front on tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

They should just give the 'King' the trophy now and be done with it. :D

10970958.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He'll be yellow carded twice, or at least cited after the weekends game, and won't even be allowed pitch side for the final if they get to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I expect convincing wins for both Australia and New Zealand. I think the aussies had one eye on this game last week. The Aussie back row won't allow Argentina the same easy quick ball we did and that will stifle their attack.

South Africa simply won't be able to live with the nz pace, and I don't rate their backs as great defenders in any play apart from a front on tackle.

I was watching the one-sided semi-final from 2007 last night and although Argentina started well, they gifted all four of the South Africa tries through horrendous blunders, which meant that the final score was a bit of a hammering. The same thing may occur on Sunday, but if Argentina aren't overcome by nerves, they may have a decent chance. Especially if Pocock doesn't play. Although Australia are the better team, this will be their fourth extremely tough game in a row, which as much as you can argue will make them battle-hardened, has to have an effect physically as well. Argentina seem to struggle as a general rule when they fall more than ten points behind, so restricting Australia to a narrow lead..or going in front themselves may be key on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Folau, pocock and sio out of the semi final judging by few posts on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

aimee1 wrote: »
    Folau, pocock and sio out of the semi final judging by few posts on twitter.

They were reporting that all right in the Sydney Morning Herald, said that none of the three completed training yesterday, which at this stage wouldn't be promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Pocock is so integral to that aussie team, that if he's out, Argentina will be aware they have a great chance at the final! Still reckon Aus to win in a close one though. The final will then decide the biggest cup of them all, the Bledisloe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Love to see an Arg SA final.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Love to see an Arg SA final.

Would be good given Argentina beat them earlier this year. Argentina would have the belief they could do it, South Africa would be looking for revenge. Both would obviously want to win the match anyway but a bit of extra spice never hurt anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

All Blacks name the same team as last week with the exception of Joe Moody starting at loosehead ahead of the injured Wyatt Crockett. Ben Franks comes onto the bench.

All Blacks will probably win it with their bench. Reckon first half will be very close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Be a very different game to the romp over France NZ had. I just want two great games this weekend. Pocock out is huge for Australia.

Habana to break Lomu and Campese's records this weekend?

I know records are made to be broken and all that, but such a shame if Habana breaks Jonah's record. One extra RWC and most of his tries against minnows.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Basil3 wrote: »
    I know records are made to be broken and all that, but such a shame if Habana breaks Jonah's record. One extra RWC and most of his tries against minnows.

Drew Mitchell could beat them both if he gets a few more.

Drew Mitchell could beat them both if he gets a few more.

Ya...if Savea is around for the next RWC, I expect he'll have em all beat :D

What's the general feeling about this match Basil- worried at all?

Certainly any of the NZ media I read don't seem to be thinking of the final already.

What's the general feeling about this match Basil- worried at all?

Certainly any of the NZ media I read don't seem to be thinking of the final already.

Of course, always worried. I'm expecting Aussie to win the whole thing though, after getting out of jail last weekend.

Spoke to my old man in NZ this morning. His attitude was "shouldn't be a problem, the All Black's have hit form, and the Springboks are playing like cr@p". Wish I shared his confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Willie Le Roux will get bombed out of it all day . He has had a very poor WC

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Won't be watching them. After Craig Joubert's performance there is obviously dark forces at work. Good luck to them. Back to the Football this weekend for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

AUS v ARG

Pocock is a loss but a manageable one for Australia who have a strong record recently against the Pumas without him.
    I am more concerned that Sio is not there, he has been sensational and fundamental to the scrum's success.
    If Australia can hold there own at the scrum I am confident the scare last week will have shaken them back to focus and 7 point win.

SAF v NZ

I think this is going to be a classic, brutal and epic game and I honestly can't call it. Logic says NZ by 7-10 points but SAF could dominate the scrum and attack NZ out wide with an aerial bombardment it will trouble them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah that NZ v SA game is too close to call, actually both semi's are if you ask me

Advertisement