Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnett cocaine ban confirmed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Just just reading that, could explain why he sometimes(mostly, ok all the time) looked very edgy on stage and about to smack somebody. Remember during WCs everyone thought it was a very strange that he was removed for "personal reasons"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Yeah and I also remember hearing the coke rumours at the time. Shame really because he can be entertaining to watch with that weird lunge he has on the third dart, always looks mad when he hits a 180.

Hopefully when he returns he will be ok and back to his best.

I honestly don't remember(my memory can be a bit shocking...what are we talking about again? :p ) rumours just remember him being kicked out was talked about in the WC thread at the time. He's strange one to watch alright, he'll not be releasing a Christmas DVD on the perfect thrwing techniques lol.

Obviously drugs (are bad mmmmmkay) don't help the image of a professional sport, there are no obvious signs of players drinking on stage now(unlike years ago) or smoking and they fine and ban players for some minor incidents, 1 sticks in my mind was Lloyd chucking his darts at the ground a few years ago but I really would have thought most drugs(esp. coke) would hinder a players performance and they certainly wouldn't be performance enhancing. Sometimes I just get a feeling the PDC are a little bit harsh on some players that don't seem like they will always be towing the company line, this is just my opinion and its not really based on anything other than the impression I get with certain players.

https://twitter.com/TheRichBurnett

Heres a rundown

Very sorry > Personal issues & depression > seeking professional help > thanks sponsors > Back better than ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Is it a banned substance because it brings the sport into disrepute or that it's performance enhancing (which I doubt it is)?.

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »
    Is it a banned substance because it brings the sport into disrepute or that it's performance enhancing (which I doubt it is)?.

I would say mainly because it is illegal. I would doubt any/many drugs would help a players performance and this has probably been for recreational use. Most substances stay in your system for a number of weeks/months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's a banned substance. It falls under the remit of the UK Anti-Doping agency. He took the drugs and deserves his ban. He had 6 months taken off the usual 2 years due to mitigating circumstances so he actually got a lighter punishment than usual.

It's unfortunate because I like Richie as a player but there can be no excuses from him and he deserves the punishment.

http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/former-bdo-world-darts-champion-richie-burnett-banned-for-18-months1

http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

At 48 I can't see him coming back better than ever somehow.
    Two years out of the circuit he'll be 50. You'd think that is his career effectively over but
    hopefully be proved wrong.

I think it comes down to a sports governing body and whether or not they decide to ban their player or cover it up. Theres been a few players banned now(cant remember who?) for substance taking but in comparison(by ratio) to say premier league footballers the number of darts players is ridiculously high. Darters don't seem IMO to have the same lavish kind of lifestyle and party ethos of a lot of footballers. I like MMA and there have been numerous fines & bans for recreational drug use(not classed as PED, which has its own share of bans) and again this is ridiculously high to footballers.

Its just my opinion but I think footballers are not being tested correctly or there is something underhand(Sepp Blatter & Michel Platini are not exactly reputable ATM eh?) and if players started getting banned left,right & centre then it damages football as a brand but moreso their leagues and their clubs. I just can not understand why other sports can have such a high number of drug users but footballers are squeaky clean(considering the amount of other madness thats been reported about them!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Cocaine is definitely performance enhancing lads. You feel great, very confident after it.

• Advertisement

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Cocaine is definitely performance enhancing lads. You feel great, very confident after it.

Confident yes until the twitching shaky hands come by and you feel like Muhammed Ali trying to throw a dart :eek::D .......
    ......then you have to fight off the munchies and not everyone survives this

5217fca9c856110c23000003_736.jpg

Advertisement