Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir 300k Homes - Ministerial slip?

Options
  • 21-10-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

The Minister met the Dáil Committee on 7th of October about the estimates. His answers relating to the NBP included this..
    For example, the number of homes and premises with access to high-speed broadband has increased from 300,000 in 2010 to 1.3 million currently. The commercial sector will increase this figure to 1.9 million by 2020.

Possible implications:
    • DCENR have accepted eir[com]’s June announcement and the extra 300k homes depicted on the open eir map, or
    • the state intervention will compete with eir on these extra 300k homes or
    • some other private sector operator will be extending out into rural areas to provide that coverage, or
    • he got his figures wrong or,
    • I got my figures wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

clohamon wrote: »
    The Minister met the Dáil Committee on 7th of October about the estimates. His answers relating to the NBP included this..

Possible implications:
    • DCENR have accepted eir[com]’s June announcement and the extra 300k homes depicted on the open eir map, or
    • some other private sector operator will be extending out into rural areas to provide that coverage, or
    I say by that statement they accepted eir 300,000k announcement because there saving money.I Think the big question is which ever bid or biders win they have to do the houses eir not covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Possible implications:

Note it's "high speed" and not fibre...might be just me reading a get-out clause into this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/broadband-plan-for-700000-in-doubt-as-state-rows-with-eir-34280689.html

According to the Sindo, the Department will resolve this on 22nd of December (2015).

...but Silicon Republic has been talking to the Department.
    Ireland’s ambitious National Broadband Plan is still on track to deliver high-speed broadband to 300,000 homes and 100,000 businesses by 2020 with the procurement process starting next week, a spokesperson for the Department of Communications told Siliconrepublic.com.

The numbers seem to suggest that either eir's 300k announcement has been accepted or the deployment schedule of the intervention has been lengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

This 300k has all the elements of how many were in the GPO in '16 ;)

Either way, 30Mb and any number of people is too little too late.

• Advertisement

The eir announcement seems to have been rejected.

The submissions to the map updating consultation are here.
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/_layouts/15/website/submissions.aspx?ID=107

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

The eir announcement seems to have been rejected.

The submissions to the map updating consultation are here.
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/_layouts/15/website/submissions.aspx?ID=107
    I don't think they can stop Eir but think they keep the map the same in case eir doesn't deliver on it promise.It kinda of annoying really for the people getting FTTH of Eir because if goverment pick 36 wisp it like given us DSL than fibre.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

rob808 wrote: »
    ...if goverment pick 36 wisp...

Not going to happen. The WISPs don't have anything like the ability to qualify for a tender like this one. Imagine will give it a brave shot, but I'll be very surprised if they get anywhere.

Advertisement