Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental EPOS

Options
  • 20-10-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

As part of a college project, we have to "computerize a dvd shop". I've looked around but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of EPOS software around for this sort of market. There's a few outdated ones that i can find but nothing that has potential with website integration or anything. I'm thinking of recommending custom software because it could be tailored specifically to the needs of the business as it will answer most of the issues, and also because that's what I do currently. But before i do, does anyone know of any branded out of the box stuff that I could read up on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Do you mean a shop that sells DVDs or rents them? If it's for sale, a standard EPOS would do the trick, I wouldn't have thought that you'd need a custom-written package. Selling DVDs isn't all that different to selling oranges when you get down to it.

Any of the integrators that operate in Ireland could supply an EPOS that would work fine: OraclePOS, Merit Integrators, CBG, Leaders or possibly even Captiva all supply EPOS packages to shops. I doubt there's much information about their products online, OraclePOS is probably the most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

markpb wrote: »
    Do you mean a shop that sells DVDs or rents them? If it's for sale, a standard EPOS would do the trick, I wouldn't have thought that you'd need a custom-written package. Selling DVDs isn't all that different to selling oranges when you get down to it.

Any of the integrators that operate in Ireland could supply an EPOS that would work fine: OraclePOS, Merit Integrators, CBG, Leaders or possibly even Captiva all supply EPOS packages to shops. I doubt there's much information about their products online, OraclePOS is probably the most likely.

Nah, EPOS is easy, since there's an abundance of choices.

I'm looking for rental software which could include sales. whatever xtravision would use or similar... Also, as a small shop I'd be looking to see if there's a facility for online booking, stock level checker too. If there's a solution already there that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UnquieUserName

Rental Software for DVDs is a declining market and since there is so much free software that does the trick (without website integration) companies aren't looking to move into that sector, well at least the retail company I used to work for.

There is a lot of open source option out there that you could use and get it tailored for your needs.

On the other hand, how many people check the DVD stores website to see if they have a certain DVD before going in to rent it, if you are going to that much trouble you would just use Netflix, Sky Anytime or other options

Since this is a college project could you not recommend something that is open source and then recommend that the store gets a developer to write an link between its database and a website like Magento or a custom built one.

For a job I got they set a practical task for creating a working retail EPOS, as it is the go to option for most tasks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Rental Software for DVDs is a declining market and since there is so much free software that does the trick (without website integration) companies aren't looking to move into that sector, well at least the retail company I used to work for.

There is a lot of open source option out there that you could use and get it tailored for your needs.

On the other hand, how many people check the DVD stores website to see if they have a certain DVD before going in to rent it, if you are going to that much trouble you would just use Netflix, Sky Anytime or other options

Since this is a college project could you not recommend something that is open source and then recommend that the store gets a developer to write an link between its database and a website like Magento or a custom built one.

For a job I got they set a practical task for creating a working retail EPOS, as it is the go to option for most tasks

I'm having trouble finding any decent open source ones to recommend though.... that's the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UnquieUserName

That is always a problem with open source, you could always recommend one you like and still down the line of getting a developer to write a link between the database and the online store.

As you only really need software that has a generic database back end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement