Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROBLEMS WITH PEDALS

Options
  • 20-10-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

So I have an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail...every time I turn it on it whistles. I've tried different cables, different power sources, different amps and I even soldered the input and output again. No change...when I turn the reverb knob to max it gets louder.

I also have an Electro Harmonix Holy stain to which a little similar problem however it's only on the tone knob. Again, when I turn it to max it makes it louder.

Would gratefully appreciate any advice / ideas on these. Hope the board on them aren't ****ed...

Thanks
    Derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 metropolis101

Did you try a different wall socket? Or a different location? I mean, did you try onyl in your house, or do they squeal in the rehearsal space, as well? My diagnosis would be the unearthed or not properly earthed electricity in your room. The turning of the knobs could also support that thought, as you change voltage with them. My other idea is a digital pedal: if these are analog, a digital pedal/modeller in the chain may cause this, too.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I can't see how it's a grounding issue tbh.
    Have you used the pedal before with it working or has this always been an issue?

First things first, it's been ages since I looked at one of these but the power supply is 9.8V or something as far as I remember. Are you using the correct supply or a regular 9V supply? Also, for purposes of a test don't daisy chain other pedals to the same supply, keep it out on it's own with just the Holy Grail connected to the power supply. I remember coming across an issue on these a couple of years ago where they'd scream at you if they didn't receive the right power.

if that doesn't solve it try the following:

If you have a gain stage or distortion in your chain take it out. Run your guitar straight through the pedal into the amp. Make sure your amp is on a clean channel and a low enough level. If it still howls then disconnnect the input so your chain is simply the Holy grail (with no guitar lead attached) going into the amp - have nothing else connected.

If you can take these steps it might narrow down the cause.

Advertisement