Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I mention that I'm a recovering alcoholic in a C.V.?

Options
  • 20-10-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

I know, it's not something you'd usually mention in a C.V. but I am studying to become an addiction counsellor so the fact that I'm a recovering alcoholic might give me some advantage. Well that's what I hope. So I was wondering what everyone thought? Is it a good idea to state an obvious weakness or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

GerB40 wrote: »
    I know, it's not something you'd usually mention in a C.V. but I am studying to become an addiction counsellor so the fact that I'm a recovering alcoholic might give me some advantage. Well that's what I hope. So I was wondering what everyone thought? Is it a good idea to state an obvious weakness or not?

Absolutely not. Never mention it, on paper nor in any interview.

Definitely not. They won't think "hey, this guy has authentic experience" or whatever it is you hope they will think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

GerB40 wrote: »

No. Although there are peer counselling positions in some places and the ad would specify that they are looking for someone who has been through the experience etc. but that would be a very specific scenario where it would be relevant/necessary. Otherwise, no I wouldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Do not break your anonymity,it's a bad choice if you do.
    People doing interviews might not like taking on exe addicts, or going against the grain of what recovery is all about.

Just be yourself,no need to go in telling them anything too personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Don't put it on cv. if you Feel it adds relevant experience to a competency based question in the interview you can mention it if you really think it will score you extra points and in context. most places it won't been seen as a either a minus or a positive. I would advice to be at least two years without relapse before going into the field and mind your head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement