Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend the IOP course?

Options
  • 20-10-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I've seen previous threads on this topic but they're a bit dated by now. I'm considering taking the seven-week intermediate course in the Institute of Photography, beginning in November. From what I've already read, people seem to recommend the Dublin Camera Club's course over the IOP's. However, the Dublin Camera Club's course takes place in January and I'd like to start a course sooner than that.

Should I just go ahead and register for the IOP's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I took the course back in 2011 (which again is a bit dated!) but I found the course excellent and well worth the cost - the course now seems to be called the Advanced Digital Photography Course.

Get regular updates from IOP with newsletters and the standard and content is always high.

Would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

@thebiglad, thanks a lot for the info. I think I'll go ahead and register for the course. From doing some searches on boards.ie and Google, there's not a whole lot of options in Dublin to choose from but I could be wrong.

Actually, the Dublin Photography School also has a seven-week course beginning in November called 'Digital SLR Photography & Introduction to Photoshop'. Has anyone done this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 QIElve

I have taken two IOP courses this year, a six month part time (every Thursday night for six months) Photography and Digital Imaging course, I found the course to be very good and it has inspired me to move forward into further courses and club photography, in my case I had been a keen wet film hobbyist but had a 30 year hiatus before purchasing my first DSLR, I needed a course that helped me understand the controls and capabilities of a DSLR and the software needed to process digital images, this course was perfect for me, after the course was finished I then took the Photography Summer School which ran for 5 consecutive days during August, this covered a lot of the same ground but very useful to recap on what I had learned during the first six months but with the intensity of a solid week long course, the notes from the IOP courses are very useful and the field trips are informative. I would recommend the IOP to anyone but have no experience of the Dublin Photography School.

@QIElve -- thanks! After looking into it a bit more, the seven-week IOP course isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I've decided to wait around for the January course in the Dublin Camera Club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You can join the Dublin Camera Club and get a lot of help before the course starts. There is a big discount to do both together.

There are quite a few here which are active members of DCC.

CabanSail wrote: »
    You can join the Dublin Camera Club and get a lot of help before the course starts. There is a big discount to do both together.

There are quite a few here which are active members of DCC.

Thanks. What would be the most beneficial aspect of joining for a beginner?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's one of the best way to improve your photography. You get to meet a lot of experienced photographers who will help you. There are lots of very good talks and workshops. There are also competitions where you will get feedback from very experienced judges. Then there is the social aspect and nights in Devitts.

That sounds good. I'll probably join as a member closer to the beginners course in January. Appreciate the advice.

Go along to a couple of meetings as a visitor. See how you like it.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    Go along to a couple of meetings as a visitor. See how you like it.

I think I'll join either next week or the week after. Do I have to register beforehand?

Just join on the night.

Advertisement