Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one, mountain bike or hybrid in Limerick?

Options
  • 20-10-2015 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,

Let me introduce myself first: I'm Alan, 26, from Brazil. Love cycling for leisure, medium distances and light trails sometimes. I have a MTB here because the ground it's horrible even in the city, so it's kind of a necessity.

Next year I'm going to attend a course in Limerick and probably buy a second hand bike for day by day and I'm trying to decide between a MTB or a hybrid one.

Which one you think it's a better choice, considering I'll use it 90% of the time in the city centre or surroundings and 10% in the country roads and trails ??

Sorry for my poor English and thanks a lot!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cyclocross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hybrid would be my choice, although cyclocross is the buzzword these days. However the hybrid is a much more relaxed way to cycle the city (I've both and the Hybrid is used over 90% of the time, I often wonder why I bothered with the CX).

The roads aren't too bad in Limerick city, well in comparison to Dublin but you've lots of small hilly roads.. I'd defo ditch the MTB (and CX) in favor of a Hybrid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've also got a hybrid an CX, and use both on and off road. The CX is faster on both surfaces and way comfier for long rides. The hybrid is a great work horse, cost much less, and still a nice bike to ride. For town or shopping, its the hybrid every time as I'm much less concerned about it being nicked when parking it in urban areas. I'm more Gollum with the CX bike; no one touches my precious, which is kept in sight at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aaalan

cyclocross
    hybrid is a much more relaxed way to cycle the city
    smacl wrote: »
    The hybrid is a great work horse, cost much less, and still a nice bike to ride

Thanks for the responses!

I haven't considered the cyclecross cause I know nothing about them. There's no races or even much information about it in Brazil, just some bikers who have imported or adapted race bikes.

Hybrid seems to be more confortable than cyclocross or it's just an impression? I'm a heavy guy and this is an important point to me (I ride a 29" with 2.1 tires).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I have tried various bikes, MTB, hybrid, CX and road bike, out of the bikes I have, I go to the 1990's GT Karakoram MTB (rigid, steel frame) fitted with slick tyres, I can do regular 40km rides on it no problem, and it's comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Aaalan wrote: »

Hybrid seems to be more confortable than cyclocross or it's just an impression? I'm a heavy guy and this is an important point to me (I ride a 29" with 2.1 tires).

With its higher and straight bars the hybrid is far, far more comfortable than a CX (in my opinion)

You can still run bigger comfy tyres on both bikes, and most CX bikes will take full mudguards (you'll need them for winter riding here).

If you're buying new then both should come with disc brakes, which are great in winter.. If this is going to be a deciding factor go with the bike with hydraulic brakes over mechanical (cable) brakes.. Again I've both and the hydraulic brakes are many times better than the cable/mechanical brakes (on my CX).

As regards being heavy, I'm heavy too.. I fight Judo at 100kg + and weighed in at 120kgs for a competition two weeks ago, I'm good on both bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If serious off-road then MTB.
    If long distances (>1hr at a time) on road then road bike.
    If short distances on mostly road then hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

A 29er hardtail is a decent all-rounder too, pump up the tyres and you can get a nice turn of speed on the road.

Thanks for the tips!

Think I'm going for the hybrid. I saw some advertisements and it's more affordable to me.

How about brands?
    I know some of the most famous like Specialized, Giant, Trek, Scott but, for a good deal, I'm willing to buy local brands but I'm just aware about Raleigh. Of course a good bike depends on the components as well but, is there any brands that I have to run away of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Thanks for the tips!

Think I'm going for the hybrid. I saw some advertisements and it's more affordable to me.

How about brands?
    I know some of the most famous like Specialized, Giant, Trek, Scott but, for a good deal, I'm willing to buy local brands but I'm just aware about Raleigh. Of course a good bike depends on the components as well but, is there any brands that I have to run away of?

Honestly I do 90% of my commuting on a 1990s era steel mountain bike that I converted to singlespeed and it's fantastic/ worth very little money.

For commuting simple solid and the option of running wider lower pressure tyres for comfort is the way to go.

There are dozens of other brands some of which are still ok and some are not.

Your best option is to Google as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

How about brands?
    I know some of the most famous like Specialized, Giant, Trek, Scott but, for a good deal, I'm willing to buy local brands but I'm just aware about Raleigh.

Depends to an extent on budget, do you want a rack for carrying stuff?, do you want mudguards?, how long is your route?, how hilly? etc...

It is worth looking at a few bikes, giving them a short test ride, and picking them up to see how much they weigh. For a new hybrid I would tend to go for one of the known brands. The two hybrids in our house are Kellys and Giant, both of which are well built and reliable work horses. I've often seen the Kellys bikes in smaller bike shops and hired them a few times in addition to owning one. Good bikes IMO.

smacl wrote: »
    Depends to an extent on budget, do you want a rack for carrying stuff?, do you want mudguards?, how long is your route?, how hilly? etc...

It is worth looking at a few bikes, giving them a short test ride, and picking them up to see how much they weigh. For a new hybrid I would tend to go for one of the known brands. The two hybrids in our house are Kellys and Giant, both of which are well built and reliable work horses. I've often seen the Kellys bikes in smaller bike shops and hired them a few times in addition to owning one. Good bikes IMO.

Hi smacl,

Not sure about hills because I'll arrive there just next year. From what I've seen on Google, nothing too challenging at all.

I found some adverts of a barely used Giant Escape R2 for $250. Plastic mudguards, no rack, 24 speed and mechanical disk brakes (I prefer V-brakes in this case...).
    Can't post the links but if you can tell me if it's a good deal, would be great!

I'll look up for the Kellys as well!

Advertisement