Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplicate contacts

Options
  • 19-10-2015 9:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A family member of mine recently changed phones, one Android to another. Anyway, between one thing and another she had about 600 contacts. I was looking through and realised that many were duplicates.

It was things like:

Mary
    Mary Mary
    Mary Mary 086 1234567

I have eliminated many by going through her list on Vodafone, deleting duplicates or merging two into one, etc. I then updated the address book using Vodafone's Contact app to sync. I'm also removed a few items from her Gmail.

That has improved things, however, there's still over 300 and many duplicates. I think this is partly because of how the new phone was set up initially. My guess is the shop copied everything from her old handset, so between that and the Vodafone list, things are a bit messy.

Apart from manually deleting each remaining duplicate, is there anything I can to sort this out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

A family member of mine recently changed phones, one Android to another. Anyway, between one thing and another she had about 600 contacts. I was looking through and realised that many were duplicates.

It was things like:

Mary
    Mary Mary
    Mary Mary 086 1234567

I have eliminated many by going through her list on Vodafone, deleting duplicates or merging two into one, etc. I then updated the address book using Vodafone's Contact app to sync. I'm also removed a few items from her Gmail.

That has improved things, however, there's still over 300 and many duplicates. I think this is partly because of how the new phone was set up initially. My guess is the shop copied everything from her old handset, so between that and the Vodafone list, things are a bit messy.

Apart from manually deleting each remaining duplicate, is there anything I can to sort this out?

I recently had to sort my Mams, what i did was log onto gmail on a PC there is a way of deleting or merging duplicates there in one go (Google gmail remove duplicate contacts), this gets rid of most and should then sync to the phone. I exported a Vcard set of contacts first so that I had a back up just in case (also a CSV version for ease of cross referencing the backup).

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=contact&fdid=de.measite.contactmerger
    I'm not sure if this just edits what's shown on the phone, or if it edits the underlying contacts too. It is useful though.

also you could go to her https://contacts.google.com/u/0/preview/all and edit there. Not super convenient though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks both.

She has relatively few contacts in Gmail overall and it has already sorted out the duplicates. Not familiar with VCards, so I'll read up on that. I had looked for some apps, but I'm reluctant to try one yet. I'd only do that as a last resort in case it somehow made a bags of things.

She still has too many such as Joe Bloggs, Bloggs, Joe, etc.

Advertisement