Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam or RWC semi final

Options
  • 19-10-2015 4:03pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,295 ✭✭✭✭

Serious question regarding the reaction to the 'northern hemisphere bad, southern hemispehere good' debate thats happening

is it better to 'peak' between RWCs by winning our annual compeition, than to forgo that competition for 3 years in the aim of at least a RWC semi final.

so..

would posters prefer a Grand slam in say 2017 over a semi final appearance in the next RWC in 2019 ?

Grand Slam or RWC semi final 21 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

grand slam thanks......at least until we think up a way to beat NZ in the next 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

The poll needs fixed. Yes or No?

A good draw could get you to a semi final and you may not have progressed in terms of how you play. A grand slam would show some progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Semi final closely followed by a slam. People suggesting we disregard the 6 nations is crap. Success in both is not mutually exclusive. Prior to winning the World Cup in 2003, England won 3 of the last 4 championships, including a slam in 2003. Success breeds success.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

I want both. I want Ireland to win every game and every competition. I'm realistic enough to know that's not possible but I want us to go out and try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's just monkeys and backs at this stage tbh, you could add beating New Zealand in as a third option. Getting a grand slam would be nice, but we're not walking around being constantly reminded we've never done that before. I just want the other two to be fixed, so they're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭sjb25

I want both please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Having won a grand slam "recently", i'd take the semi-final please. "An rud is annamh is iontach"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,295 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sjb25 wrote: »
    I want both please

question edited to become clearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I'm not sure the poll is correctly phrased:

Coffee or Tea?

Yes ;)

I'll stop being smart and propose an alternative:

Which would you prefer?

Grand Slam
    RWC Semi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ThemFifaGoals

Considering you don't have to beat any world class teams to win a grand slam..id have to say a World Cup semi final is a bigger achievement these days

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Yes or no what? Poll needs fixing...

I would rather semi final appearance than a grand slam. Slams are nice, in fact theyre great, but proving yourself on the world stage is better. I would much rather have had the grace of being part of the last 4 this year and not win any slams for the next 4 years. Winning the 6N means nothing when you look at the competition, and compare it to the competition on the big stage.

Some people are trying to deny the fact that there is a rift between the two hemispheres but for me personally I think its undeniable that the south dominates rugby union, always has, and for the foreseeable future, most definitely will. I would much rather take a victory over the ABs and consistent wins against the SH sides AWAY, followed by a semi in 2019, any than any wee slam. For me its a no brainer

But yeah, I dont understand why we cant do both. Why cant we get slams AND progress to the semis? Im probably still just a bit bitter but at the moment Im not looking forward to the next 6N, not looking forward to seeing who can win based on giving Italy the biggest hiding :/ I feel like northern rugby has been devalued a good deal after this WC. Southern hemisphere media laughs at us and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

I'd be happy with a 100% record in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Option 3: I would like a test series win in NZ or South Africa.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,295 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Yes or no what? Poll needs fixing...

the question is in the OP

perhaps a MOD can change the poll title from 'or' to 'over' please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

CZ 453 wrote: »
    The poll needs fixed. Yes or No?

A good draw could get you to a semi final and you may not have progressed in terms of how you play. A grand slam would show some progression.

U had a perfect draw to get to the semis,had no threat in the pools and u the only team that got a week break between games and you still couldn't get to the semi?

marc96 wrote: »
    U had a perfect draw to get to the semis,had no threat on the pools and u the only team that got a week break between games and you still couldn't get to the semi?

R u the only person to c this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

rrpc wrote: »
    R u the only person to c this?

U don't agree??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

a WC semi, all day long - winning another grand slam , deludes us if we want to move on be the best - maybe , given population, popularity of GAA , my Roy Keane expectation will never happen, but really think Ireland should think bigger than just winning a yearly Northerm European tournament ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Our very own Sohpie's Choice.

• Advertisement

marc96 wrote: »
    U don't agree??

A lot of it is wrong.

Ireland were not the only team to get a week's break between games. France were a threat in the pools. Had the same wins as us, almost the same points difference and tries scored etc. Italy always a difficult opponent. We got it no easier than most (apart from the Eng/Wal/Aus pool that is).

It wasn't a perfect draw as it turned out, Argentina had a better one. Hardest game first and the potential to rest players before the quarter final.

thebaz wrote: »
    my Roy Keane expectation will never happen

That's the problem with Ireland, people just give up too easily. FWIW I think you have plenty of time to become a hated idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

regular silverware in the 6n [title/slam] will maintain and grow interest. Losing a semi final in say Japan 2019 wont do a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ThisRegard wrote: »
    T FWIW I think you have plenty of time to become a hated idiot.

whos the

****ing hated dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

How about we just focus on beating Argentina when we play them in the world cup since they've beaten us every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Considering you don't have to beat any world class teams to win a grand slam..id have to say a World Cup semi final is a bigger achievement these days

Depending on the draw, you may not have to beat any world class sides to reach a RWC semi final either. Australia have only beaten 6 nations countries and minnows to get where they are at this year's RWC.

thebaz wrote: »
    whos the

****ing hated dick

Keane. I thought it pretty obviously a piss take saying you have plenty of time to be like him. And I never swore.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Love winning six nations as there good occasions but would love in my lifetime to see

A few grand slams /6n titles
    A home win vs the all blacks (2013 still haunts me)
    An away test win against SA,aus or the Ab
    A world cup semi final apperence

Don't think we could win a world cup

I'm 26 in 2016 so hopefully there's time for me yet

Scotland were seconds away from a semi final and they didn't win anything in years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A bit of entertainment would be enough at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Daddy or chips?

Advertisement