Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating old floor boards

Options
  • 19-10-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi All,

We have just bought a house that has old floor boards with gaps between them. Over the weekend we noticed an icy breeze was coming up between these boards in the sitting room. This is the last thing we want as it made the room feel cold and I'm worried about our two year getting a cold.

Our budget is tight. Does anybody know how to stop this draft??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once had a similar problem, used a silicon sealant gun with mixed results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

homerefurb wrote: »
    Hi All,

We have just bought a house that has old floor boards with gaps between them. Over the weekend we noticed an icy breeze was coming up between these boards in the sitting room. This is the last thing we want as it made the room feel cold and I'm worried about our two year getting a cold.
    Our budget is tight. Does anybody know how to stop this draft??

Probably the cheapest most effective option is to put down vapour barrier over the floor boards seal it to the skirtings then carpet or laminate floor over it.

As mb suggested silicone the joints is another option. Prob use a tec 7 clear or similar to bond to the timber. Mighten stop it but would slow it down. Could
    work out costly if the room is 3meter wide prob only get four board joints per tube. Could be messy also.
    Propper job would be to remove the flooring ,insulate,vapour barrier , then re floor but depending on size of room cost might be a factor and also depends on can the old flooring be saved and reused or new flooring.
    Or else Rolls Royce remove floor altogether insulate , vapour barrier , then concrete screed floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Bore 16mm holes and pump under the floors with a bonded bead insulation when alls filled cut 16mm plugs and glue them in. Expensive but a good job done once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,663 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

may not be a good idea depending on how the underfloor is vented?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Have a look here it might help http://www.draughtex.co.uk/gallery.php.

I have also seen people use rope dipped in varnish and then forced into the gaps you can also stain the rope with wood dye before the varnish to match up the colour of the boards.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement