Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I pass NCT with a different-sized spare tire?

Options
  • 18-10-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello,

I recently noticed that the spare tire of my second-hand purchased car is a different size one. My 4 tires are all 205/55 R16 91V, while the spare one is 195/65 R15 91H.
    Since I will be going through NCT in about a month, I was wondering if I will be able to pass NCT with a spare tire of different size, or I need to get a spare tire of proper size beforehand?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

It will pass no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't even need a spare wheel for the NCT but if one is present it will be checked for road worthiness. However they will not care what size it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

just take it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes. I've 205s on mine and a 225 in the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You often get a narrower spare wheel as standar. This will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Yes. I've 205s on mine and a 225 in the boot.

Did someone cheap out and fit narrower tyres on car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

rosenrot wrote: »
    Hello,

I recently noticed that the spare tire of my second-hand purchased car is a different size one. My 4 tires are all 205/55 R16 91V, while the spare one is 195/65 R15 91H.
    Since I will be going through NCT in about a month, I was wondering if I will be able to pass NCT with a spare tire of different size, or I need to get a spare tire of proper size beforehand?

Did you check to see if the spare will actually fit your car? It could be from another car altogether!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

*Kol* wrote: »
    Did you check to see if the spare will actually fit your car? It could be from another car altogether!!

While that's a good idea, the NCT won't check if it fits.

My car has 17in wheels from new. But a 17in spare won't fit in the wheel well in the boot, so I have a 16in spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bazz26 wrote: »
    You don't even need a spare wheel for the NCT but if one is present it will be checked for road worthiness. However they will not care what size it is.
    They will check the spare tyre if it's there but they can not fail you for a defective spare, they can only advise you on it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Some cars have different sized tyres on each axle so I can't see it being an issue.

I had a car pass with different size tyres on the front Vs the back and is not designed that way.

Advertisement