Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy help re: freelancing for 3 months?

Options
  • 18-10-2015 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

I have always been a PAYE employee in the past and then took 3 years off raising my children. I am now looking to go back to work again and have been offered a 3 month contract working for a company. I will just be receiving a guaranteed salary of the same amount from the same company for 3 months.

Most likely I will just do this for the 3 months and then either I will be made a permanent offer (in which case I would probably become a PAYE employee with this company) or I might end up freelancing a bit longer but I do not see it lasting as a longterm thing as in my profession usually you're a full-time, permanent employee.

My question is what do I do for taxes and where do I start?? I've been googling for hours and am totally confused. I think I need to register for VAT and will invoice my new employer as a sole trader? Is that right? Do I have to register somewhere as self employed? I don't want to set up a company at all.

Then how do taxes work? As I understand it I will be paid in full from my employer and must then put aside the money for the VAT and other tax I will have to pay to Revenue at a later date. How do I know how much that is? I know there have been changes in the budget for the self employed but I have no clue how much tax I will owe as I know I won't get the usual PAYE tax credit I am used to. I am married with 2 kids if that's relevant and my husband works as a PAYE worker and will be earning the equivalent of about €8,000 more than me (if viewed as a yearly salary).

If I am working as self employed for 3 months how do I deal with tax credits anyway? Right now my husband has mine as I have not been working. Do we go as jointly assessed now and do I just take my credits back??

Finally in terms of what I can "expense" or write off against my tax (which I don't understand either honestly) I need to buy a laptop to use for my upcoming job. How can that be offset against the tax I will owe and what amount of it can be offset? Also what else is eligible? I will be working from home at times and at other times in the company's office.

I'm really sorry for all the questions that may sound idiotic to you but I just cannot make sense of it at all after hours of googling and looking at an insanely long form 11 that freaked me out - surely almost all of that won't apply to me?? Is there not a simpler form for filing? What business records will I need to keep? I will just be getting a salary and from this and I will be paying our childminder, bills etc. There will not be any "loss" as such as I am not a business really am I?

Obviously I need an accountant and will have to get one (any recommendations in Dublin city centre?) but I really want to first get my head around it all before I see one and I would value the opinions of anyone on here who might be able to help. Thanks so much x

Comments

Advertisement