Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolia injections

Options
  • 17-10-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

anyone on injections for osteoporosis? Are they any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My mother gets them every 6 months.
    She benefits from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 White oak

I've been advised to commence prolia injections and am a bit concerned about possible side effects. Does anyone have any experience of this good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

White oak wrote: »
    I've been advised to commence prolia injections and am a bit concerned about possible side effects. Does anyone have any experience of this good or bad?

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist, not random internetters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Loves to shop

hi, I was advised to go on prolia too but I heard there are a lot of side effects from them. I can't tell you what you should do but I'm not going to take them. I'm 46 years old and if I went on injections id have to stop taking them at 51 and then what? I was told I have osteoporosis because I'm gluten intolerant so I'm just on a good diet and do weight bearing exercises so I'll see what the next dexa scan shows. I've told my doctor how I feel and he said call him if I change my mind.

My mother is on it about 2 years with no side effects.

• Advertisement

My mother is on it about 2 years with no side effects.

That's good to know. I had heard all the bad stuff but nobody had given me any positive feedback on it. Is her osteoporosis bad?

That's good to know. I had heard all the bad stuff but nobody had given me any positive feedback on it. Is her osteoporosis bad?

She fell and broke her hip a few years ago and went on it.
    A dexia Scan she had a few years earlier was green. She's 85.

She fell and broke her hip a few years ago and went on it.
    A dexia Scan she had a few years earlier was green. She's 85.

I broke both of my wrists, the first one five years ago and the second one this year. I asked for the scan five years ago and I was told I was too young and I would be wasting my money. But when i broke the second wrist this year a different doctor sent me for the scan and osteoporosis showed up.

I broke both of my wrists, the first one five years ago and the second one this year. I asked for the scan five years ago and I was told I was too young and I would be wasting my money. But when i broke the second wrist this year a different doctor sent me for the scan and osteoporosis showed up.

I'm 53. Have osteoporosis since age 40 due to early menopause. Spine -3 now so feel I have to do something as there is a steady decline.

White oak wrote: »
    I'm 53. Have osteoporosis since age 40 due to early menopause. Spine -3 now so feel I have to do something as there is a steady decline.

Did you get any diet and exercise advice? I want to try the natural way first and then make a decision on what to do after my next scan. My mother had osteoporosis and lived until age 87. She always went walking and kept busy, she was fit for someone who had 11 children. My older sisters have osteopenia and they are not on any medication. My scan results showed -2.9 in my hips.

• Advertisement

Did you get any diet and exercise advice? I want to try the natural way first and then make a decision on what to do after my next scan. My mother had osteoporosis and lived until age 87. She always went walking and kept busy, she was fit for someone who had 11 children. My older sisters have osteopenia and they are not on any medication. My scan results showed -2.9 in my hips.

I do and always have walked a lot. I do eat a calcium rich alkaline diet. I'm still gradually declining and feel I should try to hold on to the density I have before it gets too bad. So hard to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I think it's important to bear in mind that once you start on these drugs you'll probably be on some form of medication for life as the gains are quickly lost once you stop taking them, speaking from personal experience.

Advice I was given by endo is to make sure to get most of your calcium from diet rather than supplements, get your Vit D levels checked and supplement appropriately if low. There's some research that suggests adding Vit K2 sends the calcium to the bones rather than the arteries.

Weight bearing exercise such as walking is good for hips, not swimming or cycling. The spine is harder to strengthen but pilates is recommended but make sure it's physiotherapist led as some exercises are contraindicated.

Lots of good info here: http://nof.org/

It is hard to know, I'll go back to euromedics for another scan after Christmas. I've lost a bit of height so they will do a full back scan and then discuss treatment. My own doctor wasn't much help so I rang the osteoporosis society and they put me in touch with Professor O'Brien in Dundrum.

thank you for the advice, I will look into it.

Yes it's so hard to know. I've been trying for last 10 years to exercise and eat healthily and avoid meds, but bone density seems to be slipping away. Very nervous of prolia as there's no antidote...it's in your system for 6 months. Just was hoping to get feedback from other users.

Its a simple injection of a "gel" into the arm which dissolves over a period of 6 months.
    My mother knows when her time is near up as she gets more achey.
    They call her to tell her when her next injection is due.
    Im not sure why you would need an antidote! The alternative is a weekly tablet.

It's great to hear it's working out so well for her. The only reason I mention antidote is in case of serious side effects it would take six months for the medication to work out of your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was given one injection of prolia for osteoporosis .
    I have not been well since.
    My symptoms severe fatigue , sweats , chills , fever . I have also developed severe jaw bone and dental problems.

I contacted the health products regulations board. To date they have received more than 600 complaints from irish people about this drug.

From personal experience and some basic internet research I would not advise anyone to take this drug

una healy

Hi, sorry to hear about your experience with this drug. I was advised to take it too but decided not to go ahead with all the complaints and mixed experiences from other people. I’m in my 40’s no menopause yet, had a few gut issues and tiredness, all blood tests came back normal so healthcare professional advised me to try a gluten free diet. Since then I feel a lot better and energy is good. I’m taking Cal/Mag/VitD3 with Vit K2 for my bones and I had another Dexa scan a couple of months ago and my score hasn’t got any worse just slightly better after 3 years. I’m not saying my diet and what I’m taking is definitely helping but I’m saying not to give up and do try other, safer options if the injections are not for you. I wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ooh1985

Sorry to bring this back up but does anyone know the cost of the script for prolia?

• Advertisement
Advertisement