Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt Yard

Options
  • 17-10-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭

Any truth to the rumour that the salt yard is closed?
    Pity if true, offered something different in the city centre...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

ERMAHGERD!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

I hope not, as a Dub it's my favourite place to stop off when I'm in the Kilkenny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It was packed pretty much every weekend. i know they spent a pretty penny doing up the place and getting the chefs in but I'd be amazed if it is closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

This tweet and replies would suggest it's gone.

https://twitter.com/followfoodpunk/status/654325057381105664

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

The food was great but it was expensive. I was there during the Cat Laughs and it was busy, but the prices.... it isn't somewhere most people could afford to indulge in on even a semi-regular basis.

Pity though as it was a gorgeous place - always so lively and the atmosphere was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can anyone confirm apart from the Twitter posts? Being on Friary St. wouldn't help. Rent there likely very high (if not owned).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

road_high wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm apart from the Twitter posts? Being on Friary St. wouldn't help. Rent there likely very high (if not owned).

Yeah it's gone, closed on the 14th. Sign on door saying thanks for custom over last 15 months. Doors and windows covered over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So thats the Eat place and the salt yard both closed in Friary Street, awful shame

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cabaal wrote: »
    So thats the Eat place and the salt yard both closed in Friary Street, awful shame

Yea that's gone too. Difficult to make things work on Friary st. I think, no reason to go up there as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I had one look at their menu prices and walked away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Damn ..... I have a voucher for there sitting at home !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Was too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

+1 Ate there twice paid a lot and still came out hungry. While there can be any number of reasons for business failures, you do have to cater for the local market in terms of offering and price..which I don't think The Saltyard we doing. There's a lot of competition in Kilkenny restaurant-wise, and we always decided to go elsewhere for better food for a better price rather than go back to The Saltyard (I acknowledge that food is a very 'relative' product, and this is only my opinion). Kilkenny also has a small population and tapas isn't really a local favourite.. even Lautrecs seem to have abandoned the idea and they seem much busier again now.

Never understood that whole tapas bullshiiiite. Please no explanations, I've heard them all and there still a scam to charge more for less.

I'd rather not be hungry than be cultured in the ways of the Tapas.

It is sad though that two eateries failed on friary street, the other place was actual not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

catbear wrote: »
    Never understood that whole tapas bullshiiiite. Please no explanations, I've heard them all and there still a scam to charge more for less..

I think part of the idea is that it's supposed to be cheap and cheerful bar food. Which this wasn't.

I was there a few months ago and paid €70 for a meal for 2 without desserts. Granted it was very tasty food but the price left a bad taste.

I didn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

catbear wrote: »
    Never understood that whole tapas bullshiiiite. Please no explanations, I've heard them all and there still a scam to charge more for less.

Tapas in Ireland does seem to be a way to bleed you for more money alright. In Spain it's normally €1-2 per dish, here it more like 4-5.

At least we got good value when we adapted the French loaf for a jumbo breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

It seemed to have closed very suddenly, anyone know what happened??? I liked eating there. It was expensive alright but very tasty for a treat. Its a real shame it has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

rayc wrote: »
    Tapas in Ireland does seem to be a way to bleed you for more money alright. In Spain it's normally €1-2 per dish, here it more like 4-5.

or €8-€9 in the Salt Yard.

Way too expensive, and the twice i went there i got not cold beer and not hot Patas Bravas, and a cheese selection that was very poor.

Advertisement