Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Over 25's insurance cover driving other cars classic and vintage cars

Options
  • 17-10-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just curious with regards to over 25's driving other cars and third party cover and how this is applied with regards to vintage and classic cars with limited mileage classic insurance policies.

So if I insure my classic car under a classic insurance policy and my friend has his own normal car and insurance policy, which entitles him to drive another persons car with third party cover, would this in practice usually cover him to drive my classic car also? Or are there some exclusions within the small print of the classic policy.

Below for illustration, the 123 website seems to permit driving other cars provided that it is not a motorbike a van or a commercial vehicle. Just wondering is there any specific mention of an exclusion within the insurance documents for a classic policy. I've had a look on google but can't seem to find any information regarding this issue and classic insurance policies.

Also the reason I'm asking here as opposed to phoning an insurance company to ask, is that I'm starting to find that you can ask the same question to two different people in the same insurance company and you get two completely different answers to your question.

Thanks Pachanco

http://www.123.ie/customer-care/my-policy-cover/am-i-covered/to-drive-someone-elses-car

Am I covered to drive someone else’s car?

For Car Insurance Customers
    Driving other motor cars is offered on our Third Party, Fire & Theft and Comprehensive policies. In general, this benefit is only available to policyholders over 25 with a full licence. However you should check your insurance schedule under the policy details section to confirm if you have this benefit. All cover in this section applies only to the policyholder. You will only be covered for third party loss or damage.

Driving other motor cars is not available on our Third Party, Fire & Theft Lite or Comprehensive Lite policies.

The following conditions apply to any private motor car you are driving under this section:

The car is not owned by you, your employer or business partner.
    It is not a van, a motorcycle or a commercial vehicle.
    It is not hired by you, your employer or business partner as part of a leasing agreement or a hire-purchase agreement.
    There is no other policy in force that covers your driving of the car already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

The classic policy would have no bearing on your friend being covered to drive your car. If his insurance allows him to, then he may. His mileage however would come out of your mileage allowance on your classic policy (but when did they ever check?) (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

If one has a third party (or other) extension on their own private motor policy then they are insured to drive another private vehicle under the own policy, with the owners permission, and provided that they themselves are not the registered owner of said vehicle.

You have to make sure of a few things though. Firstly that the insurance company has not put an age restriction on the vehicles that the insurance covers. It also may say that the vehicle has to be roadworthy (as with all insurance) so it would need to be NCT'd if it falls into the post 1980 group. If its older, then it just needs to be in roadworthy condition.

Its often stated that the car being driven must have a current insurance policy on it, not all insurers insist on this, but it is part of the fine print in some cases, not that it can make a difference in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Also note that if your friend only has third party cover to drive others' cars, and damages your car, his insurance will not cover that damage (but would cover the damage to any vehicle/property/people he hits).
    You would have to claim on your own policy to cover damage to your own car, unless your friend covers it out of his own pocket.

Advertisement