Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shinty Series 2015

Options
  • 17-10-2015 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

So the teams were announced for the upcomming international shinty series between Ireland and Scotland during the week. Senior and U21 teams as follows:

Senior Hurling/Shinty International Team 2015
    1. EOIN REILLY (GK)(Laois) 2. MICKEY BURKE (Meath) 3. BERNARD DEAY (Kildare)
    4. PAUL DIVILLY (Kildare)
    5. DAMIEN HEALY (Meath)
    6. GARETH JOHNSON (Down)
    7. ZANE KEENAN (Laois)
    8. SHANE MALONEY (Galway)
    9. NEAL McCAULEY (Antrim)
    10. DAVID McINERNEY (Clare)
    11. DEREK McNICHOLAS (Westmeath)
    12. BRYAN MURPHY (Kerry)
    13. SHANE NOLAN (Kerry)
    14. NIALL Ó MUINEACHÃIN (Kildare) 15. EOIN PRICE (Westmeath) 16. MAURICE SHANAHAN (Waterford)
    17. JAMES TOHER (Meath)
    18. MATTHEW WHELAN (CAPT) (Laois)

U21 Hurling/Shinty International Team 2015
    1. PADDY McKENNA (Goalkeeper) (Kildare) 2. BEN CONROY (Laois)
    3. RÃAN BRANAGAN (Down)
    4. MICHAEL BREEN (Tipperary)
    5. KEITH CARMODY (Kerry)
    6. JAMES DOYLE (Carlow)
    7. MICHIAL DUDLEY (Antrim)
    8. JACK FAGAN (Meath)
    9. TOMMY GALLAGHER (Westmeath)
    10. SHANE GALLEN (Donegal)
    11. AUSTIN GLEESON (Waterford)
    12. MARTIN KAVANAGH (Carlow)
    13. GERRY KEEGAN (Kildare)
    14. PHILIP LUCID (Kerry)
    15. CONOR McDONALD (Wexford) 16. JACK REGAN (Meath)
    17. PJ SCULLY (Laois)
    18. COLM STAPLETON (Laois)

why are both teams made up almost entirely of players from weaker counties?? I'm not saying the boys picked are poor hurlers or anything like that but I think it would be great if we sent over the best 15 from the country and it was made to be a similar level to getting an all star, pride wise. Just my two cents on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

shaunac93 wrote: »
    So the teams were announced for the upcomming international shinty series between Ireland and Scotland during the week. Senior and U21 teams as follows:

Senior Hurling/Shinty International Team 2015
    1. EOIN REILLY (GK)(Laois) 2. MICKEY BURKE (Meath) 3. BERNARD DEAY (Kildare)
    4. PAUL DIVILLY (Kildare)
    5. DAMIEN HEALY (Meath)
    6. GARETH JOHNSON (Down)
    7. ZANE KEENAN (Laois)
    8. SHANE MALONEY (Galway)
    9. NEAL McCAULEY (Antrim)
    10. DAVID McINERNEY (Clare)
    11. DEREK McNICHOLAS (Westmeath)
    12. BRYAN MURPHY (Kerry)
    13. SHANE NOLAN (Kerry)
    14. NIALL Ó MUINEACHÃIN (Kildare) 15. EOIN PRICE (Westmeath) 16. MAURICE SHANAHAN (Waterford)
    17. JAMES TOHER (Meath)
    18. MATTHEW WHELAN (CAPT) (Laois)

U21 Hurling/Shinty International Team 2015
    1. PADDY McKENNA (Goalkeeper) (Kildare) 2. BEN CONROY (Laois)
    3. RÃAN BRANAGAN (Down)
    4. MICHAEL BREEN (Tipperary)
    5. KEITH CARMODY (Kerry)
    6. JAMES DOYLE (Carlow)
    7. MICHIAL DUDLEY (Antrim)
    8. JACK FAGAN (Meath)
    9. TOMMY GALLAGHER (Westmeath)
    10. SHANE GALLEN (Donegal)
    11. AUSTIN GLEESON (Waterford)
    12. MARTIN KAVANAGH (Carlow)
    13. GERRY KEEGAN (Kildare)
    14. PHILIP LUCID (Kerry)
    15. CONOR McDONALD (Wexford) 16. JACK REGAN (Meath)
    17. PJ SCULLY (Laois)
    18. COLM STAPLETON (Laois)

why are both teams made up almost entirely of players from weaker counties?? I'm not saying the boys picked are poor hurlers or anything like that but I think it would be great if we sent over the best 15 from the country and it was made to be a similar level to getting an all star, pride wise. Just my two cents on it.
    You'd think they'd have found a place for at least one of the u21 and senior champions! Even a lesser known player, nobody from Limerick, cork, Dublin or Kilkenny on either panel...not exactly trying to drum up interest are they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If they had a heap of players from Kilkenny/Waterford/Galway/Tipp etc. the game would be a cakewalk. They generally make the team up of weaker Liam McCarthy team players, Christy Ring players plus one or two stronger teams' players to make the games more competitive.
    Personally I find the Shinty international far more enjoyable than the International Rules games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is different to Hurling, but there should be some more high profile players in there. We put our best out for the International Rules, so they should have at least some more high profile players for the Shinty. I've already got my ticket for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Is this on TG4?

BBC 2 Scotland suggesting its on that, surprised no Irish channel is showing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

It's been comprised mostly of players from weaker counties for years now. Ireland would hammer Scotland if this wasn't the case. It's an interesting experiment, far more interesting than the football version with Oz. Ireland have an advantage I always feel with the wider bas on the stick, but the Scots boys get some distance (and height!) on their ground strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I see we lost yesterday. Will the second leg be on TV?

iDave wrote: »
    I see we lost yesterday. Will the second leg be on TV?

Its too far away to know. We were naive yesterday. Should have gone for the easier lift and strike rather than trying to cut every free.

Advertisement