Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, what would you build these out of

Options
  • 16-10-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

lads,

I like the look of these trellises across the back of the house.
    Any idea what kind stuff I could make them out of ?

Its a 6m span

thanks
    rob

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

No pic coming up for me at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

RobAMerc wrote: »
    lads,

I like the look of these trellises across the back of the house.
    Any idea what kind stuff I could make them out of ?

Its a 6m span

thanks
    rob
    Hi Rob.
    i cannae see any picture either, but i'd still suggest heart wood of larch for your trellis
    timfromtang

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks lads,

the pic is fixed now.

will look into the larch thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Pressure treated softwood and then stain to your preferred taste.
    You would have to go to a sawmill to find larch afaik.

recipio wrote: »
    Pressure treated softwood and then stain to your preferred taste.
    You would have to go to a sawmill to find larch afaik.

I'd hesitate to use carcinogenic pressure treated timber so close to a dwelling, esp for the purposse of growing things up as trellis are often used

I have larch, and a wee way o sawin em into boards

OP you are welcome to contact me
    tim

• Advertisement

I'd hesitate to use carcinogenic pressure treated timber so close to a dwelling, esp for the purposse of growing things up as trellis are often used

I have larch, and a wee way o sawin em into boards

OP you are welcome to contact me
    tim

Ditto.

You wont do better than larch, and a beautiful timber to boot:)

What price per cube tim, as I need to get some for a small wrought iron slatted garden seat.

Any elm or yew?

kadman wrote: »
    Ditto.

You wont do better than larch, and a beautiful timber to boot:)

What price per cube tim, as I need to get some for a small wrought iron slatted garden seat.

Any elm or yew?
    I have forestry thinning larch, it is quite fast grown, and young (1st thin), hence cheap. I'd find a few nice planks for a seat alright. the sawmill is a kinda hobby, we produce kindling and firewood mostly.

I have a lump of Burr elm which i will saw to order for the right customer, and a biggish lump of yew ditto (will sw to order)

I also have some white poplar (i like this wood)

I charge less than the commercial sawmills and will happily indulge in barter.

tim

I must call down over the next couple of weeks so.

Yew and burr elm sounds nice. Barter of course is the true exchange of a mans labour value

I,ll pm my details when I get the decks cleared a bit here,

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The use of arsenic in PT timber was done away with as far back as 2004 IIRC.

Alun wrote: »
    The use of arsenic in PT timber was done away with as far back as 2004 IIRC.
    hi Alun,
    have a look into the history of pesticides if you like, the modern ones and the old ones all share one vital property they are TOXIC to life, they have to bo to do their job which is killing the LIFE that wants to eat your timber.

TOXIC simple really
    I'd suggest not using TOXIC treatments
    just my opinion
    especially when there are natural toxins available in the heartwoods of certain species that protect those from decay very nicely indeed, I'd like to see pressure treated timber outlast heart of oak.

tim

• Advertisement

Toxins are toxins regardless of whether they're natural or man-made, and there are plenty of naturally occurring ones that are harmful to human life as well.

Alun wrote: »
    Toxins are toxins regardless of whether they're natural or man-made, and there are plenty of naturally occurring ones that are harmful to human life as well.

I completely agree Alun, indeed the ones made by other life are often even MORE harmful,
    would you not perhaps agree that using a naturally rot resistant timber where possible might be preferable perhaps to using man made toxins especially around our dwellings???
    tim

I completely agree Alun, indeed the ones made by other life are often even MORE harmful,
    would you not perhaps agree that using a naturally rot resistant timber where possible might be preferable perhaps to using man made toxins especially around our dwellings???
    tim

Certainly, if there are naturally rot-resistant timbers that are suitable for the job in hand, then by all means use them, although personally I'd do that more out of a desire to reduce our overall dependence on man-made chemicals in general than out of any fear that they'd damage my health.

Advertisement