Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router bits in Dublin / Meath / Kildare ?

Options
  • 16-10-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for an 18.2mm straight cut router bit, like the one below.

FAIRB228.jpg

I'm after ringing maybe twenty hardware stores this morning in Dublin, Meath, Kildare and Carlow, to no avail.

Is there anyplace you know of that has a decent selection of them?

regards
    redd .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Try The Carpentry Store, Naas.

They have a good selection of bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

cheers,

thank you very much for the reply, no doubt I'll be using that shop in the future. I rang them, they have an 18.2mm bit but with a 1/2" shank,
    I need it with a 1/4" shank. Ah well )

Saw and Tool Supplies http://www.sats.ie/products/products.html had it but it was part of the trend professional range and it was around 47 euros so I had to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Redd4 wrote: »
    Saw and Tool Supplies http://www.sats.ie/products/products.html had it but it was part of the trend professional range and it was around 47 euros so I had to pass.

To be honest id be very weary of using that size cutter with a 1/4 inch shank especially a budget range cutter

That, is an excellent point, that i hadnt considered. I'm only starting out with woodwork stuff, just experimenting really, and the router is a very dangerous tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

That, is an excellent point, that i hadnt considered. I'm only starting out with woodwork stuff, just experimenting really, and the router is a very dangerous tool.

What's the cutter for I've only seen 3/4 cutters up wards used for trenching stairs with1/2inch shanks in the joinery.
    On most work I'm on,site fitting and the odd day a week in the joinery I've been using a1/2inch bit with the 1/2 inch shank.
    If your planing on trenching with the 3/4 cutter a 1/4 inch router would be seriously under powered unless you were just cleaning up a surface taking maybe a mil or two off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The problem with imperial sized bits is that they are mainly aimed at the American market and expensive to source. For instance www.wealdentool.com will sell you an 18mm bit for £13.80 stg.
    I'm talking online buying here - I wouldn't want to spend 50e on fuel, driving around looking for one

i have mdf that im cutting a trench in. I'll get the bit and just take out small cuts with each pass.
    Im not a professional at all, its not going to see serious use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

i have mdf that im cutting a trench in. I'll get the bit and just take out small cuts with each pass.
    Im not a professional at all, its not going to see serious use.

Its going to be trial and error - you want a bit that's a tad undersize to get a snug fit.
    Have a look at www.rockler.com who sell 'undersized plywood bits ' for this very reason.

Advertisement