Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to choose? G4, N5X, Moto X Play

Options
  • 16-10-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

So having been completely underwhelmed by the VF Smart 6 Ultra, which was only ever a phone to tide me over anyway, I'm now in in the market for something a little more reliable.

I had pretty much been set on the new Nexus 5X but I see now that the LG G4 has been reduced substantially then noticed the Moto X.

Prior to the VF Smart Ultra I had an LG G2 which I did really like. I thought the only things that would improve it were a slot for an SD card and maybe a little less bloatware - two things addressed by the G4. I see you can also have wireless charging, which is a huge bonus given I already have one of those for my Nexus 7.

However the 5X has fingerprint security and fast charging and obviously ships with Marshmallow...

The new new Moto X play just seems to represent really good value for money.

I'm leaning heavily now towards the G4 but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing out on? I'm aware that the G4 is getting Marshmallow pretty soon and imagine the Moto X will get it in a reasonably short timeframe...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Eponymous wrote: »
    So having been completely underwhelmed by the VF Smart 6 Ultra, which was only ever a phone to tide me over anyway, I'm now in in the market for something a little more reliable.

I had pretty much been set on the new Nexus 5X but I see now that the LG G4 has been reduced substantially then noticed the Moto X.

Prior to the VF Smart Ultra I had an LG G2 which I did really like. I thought the only things that would improve it were a slot for an SD card and maybe a little less bloatware - two things addressed by the G4. I see you can also have wireless charging, which is a huge bonus given I already have one of those for my Nexus 7.

However the 5X has fingerprint security and fast charging and obviously ships with Marshmallow...

The new new Moto X play just seems to represent really good value for money.

I'm leaning heavily now towards the G4 but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing out on? I'm aware that the G4 is getting Marshmallow pretty soon and imagine the Moto X will get it in a reasonably short timeframe...

Id go for the G4 out of that lot, although it has questionable battery life IIRC. I would even consider the Moto.

Where did you see it reduced substantially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Saw it on Amazon for £271, but would require PM to ship or just over £300 shipped by Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

If you want outstanding battery life, then the Moto X Play.

If you want an outstanding camera, then the LG G4.

If you want the latest Android releases then the Nexus.

You mention wireless charging on the LG G4. Afaik wireless charging isn't available "out of the box". You'd need to add that with an additional purchase.

Also one thing with the Moto X Play that some may not like is that it doesn't have a notification light. Although some people on XDA claim that it does, but it's not currently functional. Currently it needs rooting and a custom ROM. Whether Moto will enable it in a future stock update remains to be seen.

Also I believe that the Moto X Play supports fast charging, but Moto don't actually supply a fast charger in the box! Something else to fork out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If I get the Quick Circle cover for the G4, then wireless charging would be enabled. I had the cover for the G2 and that was really handy so the added wireless charging feature would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

biebiebie wrote: »
    If you want outstanding battery life, then the Moto X Play.

Big battery =/= Outstanding battery life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Big battery =/= Outstanding battery life

Maybe not, but plenty of reviews bear out that the Moto X Play's battery life is well above the average for a smartphone.....

Advertisement