Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's overcoat with double breasted suit?

Options
  • 16-10-2015 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out the best kind of winter overcoat to wear over a double breasted suit. Does the coat also need to be double breasted, or can I wear a single breasted coat over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'd say either would be fine. The DB suit will add bulk, so I guess account for that in your choice.

I always prefer DB overcoats, it's just a personal preference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Thanks, it's quite a slim fitting suit but I'll bear that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

I'd say a single breasted overcoat would be best. The DB might look a bit awkward if you have it unbuttoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 StylePoetic

Personally, I've always gone with a single breast over a double breast for most things and in this case I'd go that way.

Same in that I wear single breasted blazers over double-breasted waistcoats.

I think they compliment well and try to avoid DB overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 StylePoetic

Personally, I've always gone with a single breast over a double breast for most things and in this case I'd go that way.

But kudos on the DB. You just don't see them enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

But kudos on the DB. You just don't see them enough.

+1

My tailor was wearing one of his own DB suits in a beautiful mid-grey glen check last time I was at his shop and he reckons the DBs are starting to make a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

^ Unfortunately I don't know many shops that sell them OTR, which means that most men won't bother looking for them. I had to order mine from Suitsupply (after trying it on in the London store).

Advertisement