Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Hall on the importance of getting the little details right

Options
  • 15-10-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Ryan Hall is a pretty cool guy and has some pretty cool ideas. Here he is talking about the principals of jiujitsu, except I think these principals apply to a lot of other martial arts, and maybe life in general.

Basically, people get caught up in small details and getting these details right. Yet when it comes down to it, it is completely unclear if they have gotten these details right, or if they have even picked the right details to get right.

Personally, I think when we look at any problem, we need to step back take our ego out of it and try and see if we are broadly moving towards a better solution, not just going to the solution we think is the right one.

Or whatever.

I think Ryan does a better job of describing this problem of getting bogged down in details than I ever could. Check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Very smart guy, and an excellent grappler. This kind of mentality is why he was able to advanced to the level he did so quickly. Taking an aspect and breaking it down.
    I've picked up one of his DVDs recently (defensive guard), early days yet but impressed so far.

For those that don't know he has transition to MMA and is currently a contestant on TheUltimateFighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Can't wait to train with him this and next week.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Can't wait to train with him this and next week.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I really hate you right now.

Haha, he was actually the first BJJ seminar I ever attended, back at SBG Longmile about 5 years ago! He was going over 50/50 heel hooks, much of it went over my head at the time. Watching him and Gunni roll though....

CRyaJTzWwAA0Y5n.jpg

:eek::):mad::(:D

^ my rainbow of emotions after seeing the above pic

• Advertisement

Started on Ryans Defensive Guard instructional last night.
    Lessons 1 & 2, Technical Stand up and Hip Escape
    ...Damn, I've been doing it wrong.

If he is pointing such fundamentally important stuff with the basics, then I'm preparing to have my mind blown when we get into the shin2shin, whizzer, knee shield etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Richy06 wrote: »
    Haha, he was actually the first BJJ seminar I ever attended, back at SBG Longmile about 5 years ago! He was going over 50/50 heel hooks, much of it went over my head at the time. Watching him and Gunni roll though....

Daaaamn I'd love to have seen that roll and get a feel for how high level Gunni really is. How did he fare vs Ryan?

Gunni is one of the best grapplers in the world, so is Ryan. But both have different styles. Ryan's guard passing and back taking are actually stronger than his leg lock game, according to the man himself. I can attest to this.
    Gunnar isn't exactly troubled by the leg lock game because he has ELITE base and posture. Kinda hard to know, neither would I say out of respect and deference to my friends and teammates, but over all I would put Gunni above Ryan. When you're rolling in the gym, it's not about who's winning. Ryan loves SBG because we know how to train - the whole software/hardware thing.

I didn't think people still questioned Gunnar's grappling tbh.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Daaaamn I'd love to have seen that roll and get a feel for how high level Gunni really is. How did he fare vs Ryan?

Verses Jeff Monson in 2009 ADCC absolute.

vrs Andre Galvao 2011 ADCC absolute

Monson is an elite grappler, people have point to that as being a huge impressive win. Esp as Gunnar was giving up close to 30kg verses Monson. Monson was 110kg. Nelson was in the 88kg div (w/ Weidman for example). But was probably closer to the 77kg limit.
    And although that's a loss verses Galvao, I think it speaks volume about his ability also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I wasn't doubting Gunni's ability, in fact I thought he may have been higher level than Ryan due to him competing at a higher "athletic" level for longer (higher stakes and all that).

I am aware of his grappling credentials :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement