Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Creed and Dogmas of an Atheist.

Options
  • 15-10-2015 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I was in a discussion on another thread and someone didn't believe I was and Atheist because I held a certain view on a topic (not god or religion related). Started me thinking what are the Creed and Dogmas of an Atheist?

I don't believe in a life after this one or a God. Thats about it for me. Is there anything else that you must or must not believe to be an Atheist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I was in a discussion on another thread and someone didn't believe I was and Atheist because I held a certain view on a topic (not god or religion related). Started me thinking what are the Creed and Dogmas of an Atheist?

I don't believe in a life after this one or a God. Thats about it for me. Is there anything else that you must or must not believe to be an Atheist.

I am pretty sure that all that is required is a lack of belief in gods. I think that people that are atheists tend to hold similar views in other areas, not necessarily related directly to atheism.

Perhaps that is that the other person was on about?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No creed; no dogmas.

Just a lack of belief in gods.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Creeds and dogmas imply an authority and organisation very much similar to religions.

Oxford dictionary:
    Definition of atheist in English:
    noun

A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods

Origin:

Late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'.

It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭martinjudge73

Peregrine wrote: »
    Creeds and dogmas imply an authority and organisation very much similar to religions.

Oxford dictionary:

It really is that simple.

Perfect. So there is not contradiction in being pro-life and also an Atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Evolution. If you don't believe in evolution you're an undercover theist trying to spy on our satanistic shenanigans...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Not at all. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well, I would certainly describe myself as pro-life. But it's not a dogma; I'm pro-choice.

The only substantive question regarding abortion is of choice: pro-choice or anti-choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

The general expectation is that an atheist will also be fairly liberal and, by association, pro-choice. Personally I have liberal and conservative beliefs, I find it silly to have my mind made up on a subject before I hear it..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭martinjudge73

GerB40 wrote: »
    The general expectation is that an atheist will also be fairly liberal and, by association, pro-choice. Personally I have liberal and conservative beliefs, I find it silly to have my mind made up on a subject before I hear it..

Is general expectation another word for an unwritten creed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No polyester.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is general expectation another word for an unwritten creed?

It probably depends on who is doing the expecting. If it is non-atheists then it can't be a creed as the creed has to reflect the beliefs (or non-beliefs) of the person doing the believing (or not believing). If it is the expectations of atheists however...well it still can't be a creed because atheism is specifically not a belief system. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The most important element of the Creed of Atheism is adherents must deposit a large sum of money in my bank account, in order to be UnSaved.

Other than that, anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,169 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

looksee wrote: »
    It probably depends on who is doing the expecting. If it is non-atheists then it can't be a creed as the creed has to reflect the beliefs (or non-beliefs) of the person doing the believing (or not believing). If it is the expectations of atheists however...well it still can't be a creed because atheism is specifically not a belief system. Or something.
    Atheism is not a belief system, but that doesn't mean that Atheists can't have beliefs or belief systems; they can and they do. Their beliefs or belief systems just can't include a belief in a god or gods, but they can include a belief in literally anything else.

So, if atheist A expects or demands or assumes that atheist B, because he is an atheist, takes a particular position in relation to, e.g., abortion, that's stereotyping. It may be motivated by Atheist A's belief system/creed/dogma/what have you. On the other hand it could be just a reflection of Atheist A's laziness, or lack of imagination, or limited social circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Daith

I think my LGBT Activist pledge overrides my Atheist obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A creed is a common belief that everyone in the religion/club must espouse.
    It typically starts off with a statement "I/We believe that..."
    The whole point of it is that everyone must agree with this common belief.

Advertisement