Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 15-10-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey guys need to ask a question. If I setup an online store that sold old video games and consoles such as the Mega Drive, Super NES, PlayStation etc., would you all think it'd be a good idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

There certainly is a market for retro games/consoles.
    I've both bought and sold using Amazon and Ebay which seems to be the go-to place.

If you want to set up your own website then the difficult part will be marketing. How do you get people to use your website instead of Amazon/Ebay? You could use social media but that will only get you so far. Facebook businesses are finding it harder and harder to reach out to viewers without coughing up fees.

The other problem is how you're going to source your product. Retro games and consoles are no longer manufactured. Only second hand models are available. How are you going to find a steady supply of product to sell in your online shop?

My advice for you is to set up an Amazon/Ebay page and test it out for a few months. They will take up to ~25% of your revenue but it will give you an idea of what products sell and which ones don't.

If it's successful and you're turning a profit then maybe consider running an online store in tandem with your ebay page. You can direct your customers to your store and social media pages. Hopefully then you can grow based on word of mouth.

It's not easy and there is a lot of competition in the market.
    Your main customers will be collectors and a lot of them are based in the States. Remember to factor in expensive postage costs from Ireland and EUR/USD volatility.

Take a look at The R.A.G.E. facebook page. They run a great bricks and mortar store in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think asking on a public forum as step 1 of a business plan is always a great idea.

Why not just use ebay?
    Where would you source your goods?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sorry OP, this isn't a forum for free market research

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement